In Utila NOW-no whale sharks around? What's up with that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGators:
I compeletely understand what you are saying, but nonetheless we would like to increase our odds to see a whale shark. .

Then you need to forget about who has better diving and stay as long as possible in the area most likely for whale shark encounters. If whale sharks are your true priority then you must dedicate your time to giving them the best chance to cross your path! The diving sounds secondary to you and since both seem to have very good dive sites, you should still get the best of both!

Well, Roatan is one of those places you have a great trip each time, but I too long to see the whale shark.... I think I will go look up a picture of one on the internet right now!! (just kidding)

Susan & John,

It was a pleasure meeting with y'all at Utila and having the opportunity to chat awhile.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Regards,

Keep your fingers crossed. On the one day I didn't see Whale Sharks our of LBR in February 2003 we saw pods of wild porpoise in unlimited viz traveling at 40 feet or so-- mulititudes as far as the eye could see.

Good luck and hope you have a surprise like that!

Thanks for posting about your awesome trip Susan! It definitely made my day yesterday (working too hard). We leave in four days for Honduras and I can't wait!

If whale sharks are your goal ... why not go to Belize and Gladden Spit where they show up every Apr-June, 3 days before and after a full moon? They go to feed on spawning fish eggs ... about as predictable as a drunk frat boy going to White Castle at 1AM on a Saturday night.

I will keep the Belize advice in mind for the future. Right now, we are set to leave for Honduras on March 12th. We are going to stay on Utila from the 13th until the 17th. Wish us luck on a whale shark encounter. But if we don't see one, I know we will have a great time anyway. I will post a trip report when I get back.

DiveGators:
Wish us luck on a whale shark encounter. But if we don't see one, I know we will have a great time anyway. I will post a trip report when I get back.

If you don't see that Whale Shark, stop at the exit interview kiosk at the airport and fill out the complaint form (ask for yellow form #4473)

... unless your too giddy and giggly from all the other cool stuff you saw !

We'll all be anticipating that report. Write your own guide book!

Best fishes,

Back
Top Bottom