In Water Recompression (IWR)...death invited?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
In a case where a bend is noticed in the water, a small amount of IWR can be beneficial. Take, as an example, a diver who notices a bend at 15 ft after ascending from their O2 stop at 20 ft. Descent back down to 20 ft and extending decompression for as long as is practical at that depth, followed by a slow ascent, can decrease DCS symptoms.

What if the diver is having oxtox symptoms at their O2 stop, though, and they misdiagnose as DCS symptoms?

Some dive sites are remote enough that IWR may be the only way to save yourself. I agree, if there are better options, such as a chamber close by, go to the chamber, but if you're hours from a chamber...

Dive-aholic:
Some dive sites are remote enough that IWR may be the only way to save yourself. I agree, if there are better options, such as a chamber close by, go to the chamber, but if you're hours from a chamber...

That's what I was asking..

If you are in the third word country, the chamber won't be accessible within 12 hours and there is no pure oxgen available, are you going back to the water or not?

As I recall, US Navy is doing IWR with some conditions:

Diver should be no pain
Diver should be back to the water within 1 min after being surfaced.
Stay for 2 x initially required stop time.

hoosier:

Diver should be no pain
That's "omitted deco" or "missed stop" procedure, NOT IWR.

Missed stop procedures are preventative measures to avoid DCS. IWR is treatment of someone with DCS symptoms. Quite different.

Many people that feel that IWR is a last ditch procedure that should be used in only unusual circumstance (and hopefully the expedition will have equipped, trained and done IWR drills). Many of the people that are against IWR however will readily agree that immediate re-descent by a symptomless diver to complete omitted deco is almost always a good idea.

hoosier:
That's what I was asking..

If you are in the third word country, the chamber won't be accessible within 12 hours and there is no pure oxgen available, are you going back to the water or not?

Diver should be no pain
I think that you are confusing the missed deco procedure.

My understanding that DCS isn't a switch that goes from off to dead. I think it is a gradual onset of symptoms. If you are ever in a situation where surfacing will result in immediate and easily recognizable symptoms, you would probably know it before you left the bottom. I doubt that most people will do dives were there will be recognizeable symptoms during the deco stops.

In response to your question, third world, 12 hours, no O2, I would probably stay out of the water. I would like to think that I wouldn't be doing hairy deco dives without the proper support- underwater and at the surface.

edit: nice fingers Charlie :D

Charlie99:
That's "omitted deco" or "missed stop" procedure, NOT IWR.

Missed stop procedures are preventative measures to avoid DCS. IWR is treatment of someone with DCS symptoms. Quite different.

Many people that feel that IWR is a last ditch procedure that should be used in only unusual circumstance (and hopefully the expedition will have equipped, trained and done IWR drills). Many of the people that are against IWR however will readily agree that immediate re-descent by a symptomless diver to complete omitted deco is almost always a good idea.

Thanks for your pointing out.....

I see your distinction between two. I understood that the omiited deco procedue is a part of IWR.

However, how can you determine if a diver has been bent or not in a short period of surface time. For example, a diver goes up surface fast. He aren't sympomatic yet (but we don't know if he is already bent or not) and go back to the water.

Is this an "omite" deco procedure?

A diver goes up fast. He is sympomatic (definately bent) and goes back to water.

Is this an "IWR"?

I am trying to figure out difference instead of jargon playing. :wink:

do it easy... You had better be stick to the popular resort place or U.S. territories for your diving. :)

I am sure many places in the third world aren't ready for handling a DCS....

hoosier:
I see you distinction between two. I understood that the omiited deco procedue is a part of IWR.

However, how can you determine if a diver has been bent or not in a short period of surface time. For example, a diver goes up surface fast. He aren't sympomatic yet (but we don't know if he is already bent or not) and go back to the water.

Is this an "omite" deco procedure?

A diver goes up fast. He is sympomatic (definately bent) and goes back to water.

Is this an "IWR"?
If he/she are showing signs of being bent, then it is IWR. But given that deco is so wishy washy and takes time to start to do damage..ie pop up to the surface and then redescend...then its omitted deco.

hoosier:
do it easy... You had better be stick to the popular resort place or U.S. territories for your diving. :)

I am sure many places in the third world aren't ready for the DCS....

Yeah, I'll be fine- I'm too lazy to dive anywhere but freshwater :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom