In Water Recompression (IWR)...death invited?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
Yeah, I'll be fine- I'm too lazy to dive anywhere but freshwater :D

I don't think you are lazy.... GL is too much area to cover within our life :wink:

hoosier:
If you are in the third word country, the chamber won't be accessible within 12 hours and there is no pure oxgen available, are you going back to the water or not?

if the symptoms weren't neurological and weren't getting worse, and i was really in the middle of nowhere with no chamber, i might try dropping down to 60 fsw on the richest nitrox available.

for technical diving in the middle of nowhere, it does seem to make sense to have the ability to do pure O2 IWR with a FFM and a tether+tender.

Hello readers:

In the world of commercial and military diving, decompression in the water is eliminated as much as possible. The in-water diver can become cold, feeding and water administration is difficult, medical attention is nil, an underwater tender is needed, and weather changes could lead to management problems at sea.:shakehead

For all of the above reasons, boarding to the boat, breathing oxygen, and retuning to land are the recommended procedures.

If I were I the middle of nowhere, I either would not dive or have a considerable amount of backup gear.:coffee:

Dr Deco :doctor:

do it easy:
I think that you are confusing the missed deco procedure.

My understanding that DCS isn't a switch that goes from off to dead. I think it is a gradual onset of symptoms. If you are ever in a situation where surfacing will result in immediate and easily recognizable symptoms, you would probably know it before you left the bottom. I doubt that most people will do dives were there will be recognizeable symptoms during the deco stops.

In response to your question, third world, 12 hours, no O2, I would probably stay out of the water. I would like to think that I wouldn't be doing hairy deco dives without the proper support- underwater and at the surface.

In a remote setting, given enough gas I would return to the water. 12 hours isn't particularly remote IMO. When you don't know how long it will take, that's remote.

Richard Pyle has some good papers on IWR out there. Several are noteworthy in pointing out that even using air, the vast majority of IWR patients get better, some show no change, and a very small minority get worse.

We commercial divers, and as also reccomended by the U. S. Navy Diving Manual, don't do in water deco because you will freeze before your needed stop is up.

Plus, who in their right mind is going to go to 165' on SCUBA while suffering from a dive created medical condition.

Just keep some O2 handy and know where the nearest chamber is. Also there are portable, folding chambers made of fiberglass material that a serious, expidition can and should carry with them for just such an event.

muddiver:
We commercial divers, and as also reccomended by the U. S. Navy Diving Manual, don't do in water deco because you will freeze before your needed stop is up.

Plus, who in their right mind is going to go to 165' on SCUBA while suffering from a dive created medical condition.

Just keep some O2 handy and know where the nearest chamber is. Also there are portable, folding chambers made of fiberglass material that a serious, expidition can and should carry with them for just such an event.
In Water recompression is 100% O2 at 30ft. Its not the same as doing a Table 6 treatment.

limeyx:
Right. Dont the aussies have a decent paper on this?
(If anyone can understand their ridiculous slang words :)
I thought they still chiseled their words out on rocks.

limeyx:
Right. Dont the aussies have a decent paper on this?
(If anyone can understand their ridiculous slang words :)
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/iwr.html , the article referred to by the original poster describes both the Australian method and the modified Australian method. No need to read 'strine. :)

I saw a pdf of that paper somewhere.
O2 on a ffm being best, but not required. Even using air, IWR has merit and didn't make over 500 cases worse once.

I know enough about deco that I would get back in the water, if suitable gas supplies were available and I wouldn't freeze. I'm pretty sure I could "wing it" just as good or better as those mentioned there did.

Suitable IMO = enough for 60+ minutes starting at ~40ft and doing an exponential curve from there up. 100cf min. 02 from 20ft if available. Of course nitrox if available too. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom