In what order should I buy my equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MondoMarcus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be certified soon and I am planning on buying all of my equipment one at a time. In what order should I do this? I don't need a wetsuit as I'm moving to Hawaii in the fall.

Also, about how much would each cost me, considering I'll be on a budget and am looking to possibly buy used?

what makes you think you won't need a wetsuit in hawaii?

if you're on a budget i would worry less about the order you buy it in and just be more opportunistic with the used gear market. In general decent mid-market regs and BCs will be pretty predictable cost wise... to save money i would look for a good solid entry level computer as that's one area with a large degree of variety in costs (from a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand). A used Suunto Mosquito might be a good buy as they discontinued them last year.

Tanks last, BCD first, regulator and finally a computer. Now is a great time to buy used considering the continued poor state of the economy. Prices for newer good condition equipment should be available for 50-60% of retail...

what makes you think you won't need a wetsuit in hawaii?

QUOTE]

Well... I have a thick wetsuit jacket that I'm planning on using. I also already have a 3mm wetsuit for surfing which I figure I could use as well if that's not enough. What do you think?

Thanks so far for the advice, fellas.

Wetsuit, BCD, reg, computer, tanks, weights. In general, items requiring personal fit should be purchased sooner rather than later. Regs might be purchased earlier since the performance of rental regs is highly variable. Availability (and price) of used gear may alter the order of your purchases somewhat.

Cost of any scuba gear (new or used) can vary widely. Estimating the fair value of used gear will take some time and experience. Understand that the most expensive new gear is not necessarily the best fit for you.

I live in Hawaii and while a few brave souls go without suits, the rest of us are much more comfortable in a 3mm or more. Some even go with a 5mm. What are you moving to Hawaii for? School?

That is a pretty individual decision. I think it will also depend on opportunity to purchase reasonable stuff!

Since you mention Surfing I assume you have reasonable fins and mask.

I would personally go with the Regulator and Computer first then BCD. That is just me. I suggest you are further ahead to rent and not scrimp or "make due" on purchases. Buying something you aren't really happy with often results in wasted money when you get fed up and replace the item!

I wasted money on A BCD because I bought it before I had dived enough to work out what was right for me. I didn't realise until after I replaced it how much it detracted from my enjoyment of diving!

Renting your gear can give you a chance to try different equipment and work out what is right for you.

Hope this helps

ah... if you have a 3mm you'll probably be fine in that, i've done 3mm in 70 degree water before and that's about the coldest you'll find in hawaii.

My suggestion is regs first. My reasoning is that I dont like putting community regs that have been in hundred of others mouths in mine. Especially people I dont know. But also its one of the most crucial pieces of gear since it alone provides air to you underwater and reliability is second to none.

My suggestion is regs first. My reasoning is that I dont like putting community regs that have been in hundred of others mouths in mine. Especially people I dont know. But also its one of the most crucial pieces of gear since it alone provides air to you underwater and reliability is second to none.

Much better put than my post! I figure my life depends on my regs more than any other single piece of equipment! I want to know they are in good condition and will meet my needs!

Back
Top Bottom