Incident on 80m (avg) - 30 min BT dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After T2 you do JJ CCR. Interesting that a GUE diver would also describe themselves as a solo diver. Also odd that he would use a different trimix to his back gas. Anyway perhaps he knows something I don't yet. ( probable)
The moral of the story is pick your buddies wisely. Oh and unlike other agencies you can't buy a GUE cert, you have to earn them.

He had a Trimix ticket but from another agency (don't know which) and fundies, but no further GUE training. Everything else you described is spot on.

By any chance are you able to get that informations ?

After T2 you do JJ CCR. Interesting that a GUE diver would also describe themselves as a solo diver. Also odd that he would use a different trimix to his back gas. Anyway perhaps he knows something I don't yet. ( probable)
The moral of the story is pick your buddies wisely. Oh and unlike other agencies you can't buy a GUE cert, you have to earn them.

Well I had a live before I was a GUE diver, and I haven't looked into how to get rid of the "solo diver tag". I'm definitely no longer a solo diver (and haven't done a solo dive since the accident which moved me into evaluating my options and pursuing GUE training in 2009).

Don't get the different trimix to his backgas comment. We all dived 12/65 as back gas (more in detail the RB80 diver drives this mix from a bottom stage connected to his QC6 and the JJ divers have the same mix as diluent). The other trimix mix was 21/35 which is in GUE standards also used as a deeper deco mix (57m gas), which is what we all used.

I haven't looked into how to get rid of the "solo diver tag"
Go into preferences and 'Join User Groups' and un select the Solo group down by the bottom. It was to allow access to a forum that is now free to access anyway, so it no longer does anything. Though then you will likely get a fish name by number of dives you list...

Well I had a live before I was a GUE diver, and I haven't looked into how to get rid of the "solo diver tag". I'm definitely no longer a solo diver (and haven't done a solo dive since the accident which moved me into evaluating my options and pursuing GUE training in 2009).

Don't get the different trimix to his backgas comment. We all dived 12/65 as back gas (more in detail the RB80 diver drives this mix from a bottom stage connected to his QC6 and the JJ divers have the same mix as diluent). The other trimix mix was 21/35 which is in GUE standards also used as a deeper deco mix (57m gas), which is what we all used.

my confusion and question was relating to why your deep stage is different to your bottom gas. Just trying to figure some of this stuff out before T2. I was under the impression that you would use 50% then switch to your deep stage which would be breathed all the way to the bottom until its all used up then you would switch to back gas which would essentially be the same gas. Am I wrong? So my query is why 21/35 in the stage?

my confusion and question was relating to why your deep stage is different to your bottom gas. Just trying to figure some of this stuff out before T2. I was under the impression that you would use 50% then switch to your deep stage which would be breathed all the way to the bottom until its all used up then you would switch to back gas which would essentially be the same gas. Am I wrong? So my query is why 21/35 in the stage?
Sometimes you need a deeper deco gas than 50%. A deeper gas helps lower your minimum gas volume (only need to get to 190' instead of 70' in this case) and also knocks off some deco time. For the descent it's normoxic and you stay on it longer on the way down which again gives you more gas to use on the bottom compared to switching off 50% between 20' and 70'.

He won't be the first or last diver to have the 'come to jesus moment' where you realize that you are not as good as you thought you were and you need to make some changes to keep yourself alive.

The last real close call (almost killed me) I had was what directed me towards GUE. It really was a "I quit diving now or I change my way of diving significantly" kind of moment. I think I posted about it as well on this board then (was in 2007-2008).

@Diver0001 or any other mod. I tried to unjoin the solo group but I can only join it? (which seems strange as I have the solo diver tag). is there another way to get it off?

Last edited:
The last real close call (almost killed me) I had was what directed me towards GUE. It really was a "I quit diving now or I change my way of diving significantly" kind of moment. I think I posted about it as well on this board then (was in 2007-2008).

@Diver0001 or any other mod. I tried to unjoin the solo group but I can only join it? (which seems strange as I have the solo diver tag). is there another way to get it off?
Done for you. I guess DIR practitioner is a little more appropriate :wink:

LOL... you mean that you don't want all your past indiscretions to follow you around for life? :wink:

@RainPilot fixed it. if someone is having regrets of this nature, please PM a MOD or report one of your own posts to alert us if your wishes.

R..

LOL... you mean that you don't want all your past indiscretions to follow you around for life? :wink:

@RainPilot fixed it. if someone is having regrets of this nature, please PM a MOD or report one of your own posts to alert us if your wishes.

R..
Don't get me started on deep air diving...What can I say... maybe... poachers make the best gamekeepers :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom