Incident Today at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I had just made our first morning dive at Gilboa Quarry. We went out to get some lunch and when we returned, everyone was out of the water, just standing around their cars or sites talking, and there were emergency personnel there. I asked someone what happened and he said that a woman was unconscious underwater, brought to the surface, and rescue breathing performed.

Mike, the owner, came around in his golf cart and, upset as he was, leveled with us and told us what was going on. I appreciate that, always believe in getting the story straight from the source. I had heard no word about the women when we left about 4:00. My prayers are for her and her family.

Tough summer for Mike and Jodie, the propietors and real nice people. My prayers are with them, too.

I just wrote this as a first hand experience, though the details I have are sketchy. I thought some of you would appreciate knowing.

thanks for the update, Marshall. Hope your dives went!

Diver drowns at Gilboa Quarry; fourth death in as many months

PHIL MATTINGLY | pmattingly@limanews.com - 07.30.2007

GILBOA — The drowning death of a woman on Sunday is leaving more questions than answers. There is the question of why the diver died, but also why her death was the fourth in as many months at the Gilboa Quarry.

The Putnam County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call about a possible drowning at 11:41 a.m. When emergency workers arrived on the scene, they found that XXXX, 54, of Ashland, had been pulled from the quarry and was not breathing.

XXXX was diving with a group of about 10 people from the Ashland area, according to Lt. Marv Schweibert of the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office. The group split into two smaller groups. XXXX began her dive with one group, but for an unknown reason decided to leave and join the other group.

XXXX was found a short time later in 66 feet of water. She was flown by helicopter to Lima Memorial Health System where she was pronounced dead.

An autopsy is scheduled for today at the Lucas County Coroner’s Office to determine the cause of death.

“We’ll know more after the autopsy,” Lt. Marv Schwiebert of the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office said.

The recent deaths at the facility are a concern.

“It’s something I’m going to be speaking with the sheriff about,” he said.

Sheriff James Beutler could not be reached for comment.

A representative from the Gilboa Quarry said they were not commenting on the situation as of Sunday evening.

The Gilboa Quarry offers both shallow and deep diving from depths of five to 130-plus feet, according to its Web site. The first two deaths at the quarry, which occurred in April, were caused by an equipment malfunction. While diving in freezing temperatures, two Dayton-area divers had their air regulators freeze. The result was an inability to breath and both eventually drowned.

The third death occurred in June, when certified-diving instructor Van Losh, 60, of West Alexandria, was found by friends floating in shallow water. An Allen County coroner’s report concluded that he died of natural causes.

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=41216

Prayers for the family as well as Mike and family.

Kinda makes you not want to dive Gilboa.

I was there Friday and Saturday, and discussing with friends what seems to be negative trend this year (not just at Gilboa, but other places as well). Ken and Dave were there on Sunday and mentioned there was commotion on the surface when they surfaced from their dive.

Crazy part is, the quarry conditions are same as they've ever been, and if anything, Mike has been more of a stickler regarding safety than in years past.

Condolences to the family, friends, and quarry staff.

Wow. Thoughts and prayers for the family, friends, and dive buddies. Hope Mike and Jodi are doing alright. What a tough year.

crpntr133:
Prayers for the family as well as Mike and family.

Kinda makes you not want to dive Gilboa.

My best to the family and Mike, et al. But in no way does this change my opinion of the quarry operation. Gilboa is as safe as any of the quarries if not more. As safe as any lake or water hole for that matter. (Current & surf not being taken into account). These accidents could have happened anywhere.

Paula

diver_paula:
My best to the family and Mike, et al. But in no way does this change my opinion of the quarry operation. Gilboa is as safe as any of the quarries if not more. As safe as any lake or water hole for that matter. (Current & surf not being taken into account). These accidents could have happened anywhere.

Paula

I didn't question or comment on Mike's operation or safety of the quarry. I agree that Mike and the staff run a top notch quarry.

Could be that the quarry use to be an old native American buriel grounds and they are coming back to haunt all the divers. :D

Rough year indeed. 66 feet of water. That sounds like the tubes to me. Putting 2 deaths this year in the deep side and 2 in the "shallows".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom