Inclusive resorts that have cavern diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to vacation for a week in the winter. I want to dive the cenotes and get my Cavern Certification.

Recommendations?

There are all-inclusive resorts all along the coast, from Playa del Carmen to Tulum, and any of them would be a reasonable place to base yourself. I am very familiar with Puerto Aventuras, where there are two all-inclusives, the Catalonia and a branch of Dreams. We have stayed at the Catalonia a number of times -- the rooms are pleasant and the food is okay (as is virtually all the food in PA -- if you want food, go to Tulum!). Nils, the owner of Dive Aventuras in PA, teaches cavern. If you want to do it in sidemount, Natalie Gibb will pick you up in PA. If she is unavailable, she has excellent associates who also teach.

As TS&M has said the best area to stay is between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. You didn't mention your budget or what type of accommodations you are looking for, all inclusive resort or condo? There is the Grand Palladium Riviera Maya, El Dorado Seaside Suites, Catalonia Royal Tulum, Catalonia Yucatan, Dreams Tulum plus a bunch of others.
For diving I highly recommend Nicolas from CenoteXperience Nico and his brother Martin are great guys and excellent dive guides. They are very safety conscious and are never in a rush They will pick you up and drop you back at your resort if you stay south of Playa. They get great reviews here on scubaboard and Tripadvisor. I won't dive with anyone else

There are also lots of options that are not all-inclusives. I generally stay in some very reasonable condos in Akumal. I go to the grocery store for breakfasts, lunches, and even some dinners, but I eat most of my dinners in very peasant nearby restaurants.

As for the instruction, you have lots of options. You do not have to use an instructor/guide who is officially associated with the place you are staying.

Yes, you certainly have to stay somewhere between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Most of the best cenotes are in that area. What I'd recommend to consider as the alternative to all-inclusive resorts is staying right in Playa del Carmen! It's much more fun then spending time in an all-inclusive. Playa del Carmen is lively and cheerful city with a great choice of accommodations options. There are lots of small hotels and cozy restaurants. Public beach is also almost OK there. Logistic will be very easy. A number of dive shops are right in the downtown. Here is a link for you to check them, read reviews, compare prices, book online: https://divebooker.com/mexico-playa-del-carmen-eaz768

Hi there! We will be more than glad to help you plan for upcoming trip to the Riviera Maya! Check us out at Diving Mexico - Cenotes, Caves, Caverns, Reefs Playa del Carmen Tulum - Blue Life. We would love to get you diving in some amazing cenotes and to complete your cavern training. For more information please email us at info@bluelife.com and we will make sure to get you all set up with a really cool diving package. We are centrally located in Playa del Carmen and do pick ups throughout the Riviera Maya.

Hope to dive with you soon!

Back
Top Bottom