Increasing crime in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have dived Bonaire for nearly as many years.
One minor truck theft, of a cheap pair of sunglasses.

The only real theft we ever experienced on Bonaire was from fellow divers at a resort. No local is going to go into a gearroom, and unscrew an inflator assembly off of a new Halcyon Wing.
The same day, a diver visiting from France reported her dive computer stolen from the same gear room.

Not only do the same old threads get resurrected, but posters repeat what they've previously posted. :wink: Ah, well, we're taught that redundancy is good, right? We're taught that redundancy is good, right?

Wow so sorry to hear that about your friends.

You did see that you replied to a post from May 2013, right?

Regarding this thread in general, it's interesting (and telling) to see this topic resurrected after 2 years without mention of any actual crimes. The OP started the thread 52 months ago based on concern about recent reports of apparently escalating crime on Bonaire. Fast forward to today and I can't recall reading any recent reports of crime against Bonairean tourists on ScubaBoard, BonaireTalk, TripAdvisor, or in the Bonaire Insider newspaper.

Perhaps it's time to let this thread die and start a new one titled Decreasing Crime On Bonaire where brave tourists can regale us with tales of leaving cash and valuables in rental trucks for days on end with no apparent thievery. (Personally we'll continue to stick to old "leave nothing of value in the truck" strategy, but to each his own I guess.)

Since my last post in this thread over 2 years ago we've returned to Bonaire for an additional 9 weeks of great shore diving and had nothing pilfered during that time. We've enjoyed 25 weeks overall on dushi Bonaire and lost only an $8 pair of Cultimara sunglasses to some kids roaming near Andrea II. Life on Bonaire isn't perfect, but it's pretty damned good by our criteria.

Oh, there is still crime on the island. Always will be I'm sure, but it's not some huge out of control issue, driving the divers away.

Most crime on the island though seems to be local on local, if you read the island news. Some break-ins, some vehicle thefts, and some assaults, but mostly not directed at tourists.

Vehicle break-in at dive sites does happen, as evidenced by some broken auto glass at a couple sites, but that glass also tends to lay around for years, because neither rain nor government cleans it away. This makes it difficult to say how long ago such a theft might have occurred.

We have been returning to Bonaire every year for over 10 years now, with nothing but one pair of cheap sunglasses being taken from a vehicle.

Oh, there is still crime on the island. Always will be I'm sure, but it's not some huge out of control issue, driving the divers away.

Most crime on the island though seems to be local on local, if you read the island news. Some break-ins, some vehicle thefts, and some assaults, but mostly not directed at tourists.

Vehicle break-in at dive sites does happen, as evidenced by some broken auto glass at a couple sites, but that glass also tends to lay around for years, because neither rain nor government cleans it away. This makes it difficult to say how long ago such a theft might have occurred.

We have been returning to Bonaire every year for over 10 years now, with nothing but one pair of cheap sunglasses being taken from a vehicle.

Not much reason to break open windows. It just is not that hard.

Not much reason to break open windows. It just is not that hard.

Which is why you are advised to leave windows open, truck unlocked, and NOTHING in it to steal, and have been since long before we started visiting the island.

Broken glass at a few dive sites is a sign that somebody thought they were special, and they ignored that sage advice.

And they probably paid for a broken window.

Apparently most visitors did not get the memo at the sites I frequent. From my experience the number of trucks with windows rolled up tight far exceeds the number of trucks with windows rolled down by at least 3-1 and I have yet to see any smashed windows. But I will continue to roll mine down even if it means a wet seat from the odd shower.

The debate about crime on Bonaire is never-ending. We first started going to Bonaire in 1995 and crime was an issue back then too. I am not naïve and I know that crime can happen anywhere. I work in a major American city and I recognize that it is a much more dangerous place than Bonaire and there are parts of my city that I would be very afraid to visit - because of the high rates of crime and violence.

Once I was robbed in the airport in Cozumel but I am sure robbery is common in every airport all over the world. My niece and her husband parked their rental care and went to look at a volcano in Hawaii and when they came back the window was smashed and their belongings had been stolen. Crime happens all over and you need to be vigilant and careful. But in my experience, crime has always been an ever-present and more persistent issue with Bonaire than with most of our other vacation destinations.

The fact that there are regular break-ins and petty thievery in Bonaire doesn't stop me from loving the island or keep me from coming back, but the problem is real and you have to take precautions. We have never been robbed in Bonaire but we have friends who had their hotel room broken into and valuables stolen. One thing that I find annoying about the thefts on Bonaire is that it is a small island and I think that the authorities could do a much better job of controlling the crime - if they really wanted to do so.

On a related note, I am sure that some of you have read about the recent, tragic death of naturalist Jerry Ligon who conducted educational dives for BD&A and gave bird-watching and wildlife tours on Bonaire. I had heard that tributes to Jerry were being posted on facebook so I went looking for the page to add my tribute. I didn't find it but I did find Jerry's personal FB page and below is one of his last posts. He wrote about the thievery problem on Bonaire. I figure that he was a local and he loved the island yet he affirmed that theft is a real problem and that visiting divers need to take action to avoid becoming a victim.

Jerry C Ligon

September 3 at 8:28pm · Edited ·

For second time in 2 weeks, found dumped stolen tote bags in identical spot going NORTH from Ol Blue (Tolo). Thieves take all valuables out after stealing back packs, tote bags out of dive trucks, they toss them along side the road. Identical spot on 22 August, found black back pack with bright red men's swim trunks with black stripe. Neither time was there any identification.
My biking for exercise has me looking intently along side my route and has proven time and again that divers think that thieves are not around when they leave clothing, and most likely smart phones, cameras, etc. while they are diving.

Last edited:
there are parts of the city that I would be very afraid to visit - because of the high rates of crime and violence.

Having never been to Bonaire, this makes me wonder: are there parts of the island that tourists should not visit? I understand the majority of the crime there is theft rather than violent, but criminals are criminals and they have to hang out or live somewhere.

Having never been to Bonaire, this makes me wonder: are there parts of the island that tourists should not visit? I understand the majority of the crime there is theft rather than violent, but criminals are criminals and they have to hang out or live somewhere.

I was talking about my home town (Chicago) when I made that comment about "parts of the city that I would be afraid to visit". I have never felt like I was in personal danger while on Bonaire but theft is a concern. We look for properties that have onsite security when we book accommodations and prefer the second floor because it may be a little harder for a break in. We don't take much with us when we are shore diving and we leave the car doors unlocked and the windows rolled down; we don't leave any valuables in the car/truck. We have never been robbed on Bonaire but we know others who were.

In general the people are very friendly and pleasant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom