Increasing crime in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Habitat has SOME security. The room safes are too small for laptops, a small tablet will fit, a housed camera will not with the exception of truly small housings--for example my Canon S95 and Canon housing will fit, but would not with an external strobe. Security may call you if they see some windows unlocked---but some locks are semi broken or rusted open or somesuch in the Oasis Bungalows for example as of last month.
Thanks for that - and thanks everyone else too. Oddly enough, I own an S95 with housing and 2 strobes. I'll take those with me on every dive but have to hope that they will be safe in a locked room when I am out for dinner after a day's diving. I was also thinking of taking my Olympus OM-D with lens for dry land photography but maybe it is not necessary. I won't be doing much of land travelling in Bonaire and don't think there is a much interesting above the water in Socorro. The S95 should do for everything.

There isn't much crime where I live, but I have lived in worse places, and I don't find this argument—which always comes up—very persuasive. If I have to worry about crime when I am on vacation it is not much of a vacation. That aside, when I lived in Chicago, for example, I knew which areas to avoid, so even though the city had its share of crime, it didn't have much impact on me. (Avoiding Cabrini-Green was not an imposition.)

I live in a very nice townhouse neighborhood in a great part of town. Not a whole lot to worry about here. While we were in Bonaire in April, a car was stolen in my neighborhood. haha

One needs certain things after a dive - water bottles, towel etc. Also, clothes have to be left behind in the vehicle. One cannot take everything necessary on the actual dive.

I don't understand this at all - six trips and over 100 shore dives there and I have never needed anything after a dive but vehicle keys. EVERYTHING ELSE IS OPTIONAL not required. It's not that far back to the room (unless you dive up in the park).

I don't understand this at all - six trips and over 100 shore dives there and I have never needed anything after a dive but vehicle keys. EVERYTHING ELSE IS OPTIONAL not required. It's not that far back to the room (unless you dive up in the park).

I completely understand it. While I suppose it's possible to drive around with only your dive gear and what can fit in a small waterproof case I actually don't consider that at all reasonable. When I go on vacation there is a certain minmum level of comfort I want. When we go to Bonaire we stay in a condo 10 minutes south of town so doing sites like Bari Reef or further north (but still not in the park) means a 15-25 minute drive and back and forth through town. While I guess I could always head straight back to the condo after a dive it's convenient to stop in town for a drink, ice cream, groceries, etc. So for me I consider a bare minimum level of comfort to have:

1. Flips Flops. I don't like driving barefoot and I don't want to walk in town or the grocery store barefoot, and I'm not walking around in wet dive boots.
2. T shirt. I'm not going to wear my wetsuit to the dive site and I'm not going to drive around without a shirt and definitely not going to stop in town without one. And even more than me absolutely no way is my wife going to wander around just in her bathing suit.
3. Towel - I suppose in 80 degree weather I could rinse my face with my water bottle and simply not dry it, but a towel to wipe down with after a dive is a minimum for me.
4. Sun Glasses- the sun is bright in Bonaire. I'm not driving or walking around without sun glasses, and my eye doctor doesn't want me to.

I'm pretty sure my wife would add as her minimums a hair brush for after the dive and sunscreen lotion.

Now having said that I can say that in 3 trips to Bonaire we've always left those things in the truck and they have always been there after the dive. As others have commented we do so by bringing older items that would be no big loss if they were stolen and I suspect even the poorest thieves recognize the minimum value these items have.

I'm sure theft occurs in Bonaire, I'm just not sure how prevalent it is. I will say that if the theft problem ever does get to the point where I can't bring crappy old items of the kind I mention without them getting stolen after every or even just many shore dives then I would have no interest in returning to Bonaire. The diving on Bonaire is very enjoyable, but it isn't that great and there are plenty of other enjoyable dive locations.

Last edited:
Spent 10 days there in March, stayed at Dive Hut. Had zero theft problems. However, met some friends there that had their battery stolen from their truck. Island Rental sent someone out with a battery, they were not liable.

When I go on vacation there is a certain minmum level of comfort I want.
That is exactly my feeling. All of us work hard and so expecting a modicum of comfort - even a bit of luxury - while on vacation is not unreasonable. While common sense should always prevail, I'd rather not be in a situation where I am stressed about what can be left behind in the room or in a locked vehicle while I am supposed to be enjoying myself.

Getting things stolen can be very upsetting and easily ruin a vacation. In Cozumel last year my wetsuit went missing and I had to rent one in a hurry when I reached Belize the following day to do the liveaboard cruise. But other than that I have never had any problem during lots of vacations in over 30 years.

The reason I asked about Bonaire was because these reports about crime appear in almost every guide, forum and report. I cannot believe that all those people posting on Tripadvisor etc are doing it out of malice.

The reason I asked about Bonaire was because these reports about crime appear in almost every guide, forum and report. I cannot believe that all those people posting on Tripadvisor etc are doing it out of malice.

The crime problem in Bonaire is nothing new...

Shore_Diving_Exposed.jpg

:d

Why do you think Cozumel and Cancun have enclosed resorts with 15 foot walls topped with razor wire and 24/7 armed guards? Crime, it's so new and unusual.

I'm a member of an online community of hikers, climbers, mountaineers, etc. Usually about once a year someone posts about increasing breakins to vehicles left at trailheads. The usual flow of suggestions range from leaving your car unlocked (with nothing of value inside) to increasing/implementing parking fees so guards/patrollers can be hired. Eventually the posts end and the thread disappears for another year.

My point is that this type of crime happens everywhere in the world - the hiking/climbing community I'm referring to is largely in Canada (BC & Alberta) and the northwest US (Washington). So if you want to avoid areas where petty theft occurs please add my corner of the world to the list.

I'm a member of an online community of hikers, climbers, mountaineers, etc. Usually about once a year someone posts about increasing breakins to vehicles left at trailheads. The usual flow of suggestions range from leaving your car unlocked (with nothing of value inside) to increasing/implementing parking fees so guards/patrollers can be hired. Eventually the posts end and the thread disappears for another year.

My point is that this type of crime happens everywhere in the world - the hiking/climbing community I'm referring to is largely in Canada (BC & Alberta) and the northwest US (Washington). So if you want to avoid areas where petty theft occurs please add my corner of the world to the list.

Before our first trip to Europe ten or more years ago I read a lot of online travel forums to educate myself. There were lots of warnings about pickpockets and petty crime in all the major cities. I always remember numerous reports that discussed a tourist being squirted with a ketchup bottle and a seemingly helpful local stopping to help them only for the tourist to later discover that their wallet had been stolen in the ensuing chaos. In fact I read that story so often you'd think every tourist was being squirted with ketchup.

Having now visited 5 European countries I have never personally experienced any theft problem or noticed any among other tourists, and I definitely never saw anyone squirted with ketchup. I'm sure theft happens, I'm not sure it happens with any more frequency than in the city I live, where I've also never experienced any pickpockets (I do have to qualify that statement by saying I've never been pickpocked because I have had the theft of two vehichles from my house).

I'm sure vehicle breakins occur at Bonaire. I've seen freshly broken auto glass at dive sites. I truly just don't have any idea how frequently it occurs. Right now I would go back to Bonaire and shore dive until I have good evidence that the theft problem occurs at a much greater rate than I have personally experienced. Of course I'm also someone that still likes doing some boat dives over to Klein Bonaire each trip so what do I know about visiting Bonaire.

Back
Top Bottom