independent EFR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm planning to get my EFR instructor cert. The shop where I DM offers no opportunity to teach EFR, but other places in the city do. How would I go about teaching this independently? Would PADI take a cut of whatever I charged.

I teach EFR (along with DAN and Red Cross) classes independantly and have for quite a number of years. I get most of my students by word of mouth and typically teach one or two people every few months. When I first started teaching it was for the Red Cross and taught through one of my past jobs. Since then I've kept my certifications up to date and usually make enough to pay my fees and have little left over for some charters. For EFR, the only money PADI gets is for the card and materials. For me this is about $25 (I can't remember the actual costs off the top of my head). In addition to the fees you'll also have to either purchase or rent maniquins and have the various supplies on hand for the class. There isn't a whole lot of money to be made teaching independantly but it can be fun.

I'm planning to get my EFR instructor cert. The shop where I DM offers no opportunity to teach EFR, but other places in the city do. How would I go about teaching this independently? Would PADI take a cut of whatever I charged.

Does the shop teach EFR at all? I am not sure what you mean by "offers no opportunity to teach EFR".

Are you saying that you would not be able to teach any of the shop's EFR classes, or that there are just no classes to teach?

I ask because I teach a number of EFRs not at our shop, but through my own contacts - workplace related. The shop lets me borrow all the equipment and I buy the manuals and PICs from them and bill the clients directly. I teach more that way than I do through the shop.

No opportunity for me. The shop offers EFR twice a year I think, the owner has taught it, and we have 15-16 OW or higher instructors on staff. Plus 7-8 DMs (some have EFRI) and I'm one of the newer ones.

Back
Top Bottom