Indonesia Diving with Nightlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sionm2000

New
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm after a fantastic diving destination in Indonesia for August that also has a near by town with decent nightlife. I do not want somewhere to crowded and touristy though so was avoiding Bali. Went to Bunaken last year and stayed in Manado which would be perfect but already been there so any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Sion

You are aware that Indonesia is an Islamic country, right? This means that where you will find nightlife is going to be limited to places that are "touristy" or ones that have large non-Muslim minorities. Manado is one of these minority enclaves as it is largely Christian, so the "entertainment" options are more abundant than they would be in other areas. If nightlife is that important to you, you have to go where there is enough demand from tourist revenue to make having such establishments "attractive" to the local populace. It sounds like you'd like the Gilis off Lombok island. The diving is just okay, but the nightlife is said to be outstanding.

if u are talking about full blown disco playing the trance/house etc..

then likely u have to travel really fall into the city-city ( as in where there are skyscrapers) to find them..

if u are looking for place to sit down and have some beer and have people play music.. its not hard to find actually.. ask the dive guide..

You write like a Singaporean, hellhole!

Anyway, what you say is technically right. Let me share an example of a place with access to "fantastic diving" (OP's stated objective for diving) that has the sort of nightlife found in places that aren't touristy (remember he is avoiding Bali):

Labuan Bajo, jump-off point for Komodo diving. Nobody would question that this is world-class fantastic diving on a par with Manado. Nightlife? There's a place, yeah, just one--it's called Paradise Bar, and it's up a dirt track. It's only really a fun venue on Saturday night. So if you're in LBJ on Saturday, then yeah, it's easy enough to find some nightlife.

Outside of places like Bali that have a significant tourist infrastructure, it's really, really hard to find a place in Indonesia that combines "fantastic diving" and "decent nightlife" (OP's words).

You want hard core wreck diving, go to Banten Bay/Sunda Strait and the sunk-in-action WWII Cruisers USS Houston and HMAS Perth.

You want equally hard core Indonesian "night-life", spend a couple of days/nights afterwards in the Jakarta Blok M quarter (and recommended that you go with your buddies and not by yourself). . .:wink:

Hmmm Not so easy!

You can go to Gili Islands, Great Nightlife but medium quality diving.

In Bali I like the small city Padang Bai, it offers good diving with possibilities of day trips to Nusa Penida to see the Mola Mola and Manta Rays! There are also a few nice bars with decent nightlife.

Otherwise yes Amazing Diving in Komodo Islands but no nightlife, just the Paradise bar.

Another Option is that you go to a quiet place in Bali like Amed or Tulamben for superb diving and when you want to party you go back to Kuta in South Bali for Heavy party!

Ask me if you need more details

Back
Top Bottom