• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Indoor Scuba Waterpark

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania / New York / New Jersey' started by Paradocs1111, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Paradocs1111

Paradocs1111 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Excellent discussion, thank you!

2. Paradocs1111

Paradocs1111 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    In Ohio we have some very large indoor water parks, year round, wave pools, water slides, lounge chairs, kiddie pools, food service, even hotel, and restaurants. I’m looking at a similar sized concept with a major change.The vision would be aimed specifically towards diving, snorkeling, aquatic / sea life , educational, kids programs, activities, various indoor diving experiences. We all spend thousands on dive trips, we go for 5-7 days, airfare, live aboard or hotel room. If we are lucky we get 1 trip a year. I want to make diving accessible to everyone that’s interested, in a premier in land dive space, for a reasonable ticket price. Aquariums are neat experiences, but not really meant for diving, they are meant for viewing. Giant acrylic tanks with artificial reefs cost considerably more than a cement lined artificial quarry. This has been the first dip in the conceptual water on this idea. Thanks again everyone, any other ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated.

3. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Manta Ray

I have not done EPCOT, but the Georgia Aquarium dive was a really cool experience; pretty pricey though.

KathyV likes this.
  4. Diver below 83

Diver below 83 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    diving at Epcot is only $179 with gear included. That’s hardly expensive or cost prohibitive. That’s the average price for most dives at vacation resorts or cruise dives.

5. soldsoul4foos

soldsoul4foos Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If there wasn't any sea life, I don't see the attraction. It would be cool for cave/cavern setups I would think. But that would cut out a large part of the diving community.

KathyV likes this.
  6. Zef

Zef Divemaster

We come from different worlds given you don't think $179 for a 1 hour or less dive experience is not expensive. I can fly to Egypt, stay at a resort hotel with food and drink included, and dive for a week (2 dives/day) all for less less than 600 euros...the only extra expenses are parking at/near the airport on this end, park fees for some of the dive sites, and tips for the guide/boat crew.

But if diving in a disney aquarium or any aquarium for that matter is what you find fun and interesting that is A-OK. I like blowing bubbles at the bottom of deep, dark, cold quarries, while watching sturgeon fade in and out of the silty abyss like little fresh water sharks my thing is not everyone's cup of tea.

-Z

Diver below 83 likes this.
  7. soldsoul4foos

soldsoul4foos Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Can you elaborate on the specifics of this resort for that price?

8. Eyegore

Eyegore ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The SCUBA equivalent to a rock climbing/bouldering gym.

Cool idea!

9. KathyV

KathyV Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It might also be a nice way to check out your equipment and refresh your skills before heading off to a remote spot for a dive vacation; and dive ops might contract with the water park to do pool sessions and avoid the expense of maintaining an onsite pool.

Carlos Danger likes this.
  10. Zef

Zef Divemaster

Here is the club announcement from this past November's trip:

"It's time once again to organize another trip to the Red Sea and Egypt. People who have done it love it and requested it again and again. We will be staying at the Grand Resort in Hurghada. It is a nice 5 star hotel. Great rooms and good food. Great place for people who want to take the whole family.

We will be flying from Germany. We can carpool as we usually do. I checked for parking at the airport and it looks like it is about 40 Euros for the week. Won't be too much for people to chip in for fuel and parking. If we have enough people, we can try to organize a bus as we have done in the past.

For the hotel, it is All Inclusive. All meals and drinks are included. You can check on the hotel website to see what else is included in the hotel.

http://www.redseahotels.com/index.php?id=94

For the diving, it is a 10 dive/ 5 day boat dive package. We will start our first dives on Sunday and do 2 dives a day through Thursday. We will bring our own equipment except tank and weights. That will be supplied by them. If you do not wish to bring your own equipment, you can rent from them also.

Everyone is going to be really happy. I should be able to get the flight, hotel and diving for around 600 Euros P/P in a standard double room. That's about the same as last year. For people who want to bring family members that don't dive, it will be about 450 Euros for the flight and all inclusive hotel. There are also family rooms and single rooms available at different prices. Just let me know if you want one of these. If you want a Deluxe room, which just means the room faces the pool, it costs 35 Euros p/p extra. (70 Euros extra for a double room). Please specify if you want one of these rooms.

Not included- Egyptian Entrance VISA, $25 US.
    Also it is customary to leave a tip for the crew upon departure on the last day. They do a lot of work for us.

We can also get NITROX on the boat.

On the Friday, while we are off gassing, we can see about arranging a trip to the Valley of the Kings, Luxor and Karnak to see some Egyptian temples. It is a real nice trip for those who have never seen them.

Please reply if you are seriously interested in going. I have only 75 seats reserved at this price for now. I will start booking as soon as I get names. Last year we had 100 people. Please send me your names as they appear in your passports and room preferences."

The actual cost of the flight, hotel, and diving was less than 600 euros. Unfortunately my wife and I had other commitments and did not go this year.

-Z