Inexpensive Barbados Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobagoman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just booked a 7 nights stay in Barbados, including lodging with breakfasts at a 4-star beach front resort and round-trip airfare from Reagan National in DC for $499.00 each for my wife and I. We are leaving on December 3rd and returning on the 10th.

If anyone else is interested go to this website:
Best of Barbados
We upgraded to the Amaryllis resort instead of the Coconut Beach Resort, so it was a $100.00 more than the advertised $399.00 per person. Incredably cheap price for a trip like this.
We will probably be diving with "Carib Ocean Divers" while there.
Hard to pass up a deal like that!

Have fun... enjoy the island... ever been? Try Harrison's Cave when not diving, it's in the a limestone cave in the middle of the island, pretty impressive.

Enjoy the rum, sun and sand... oh... and the DIVING :D

Aqua Buoy:
Have fun... enjoy the island... ever been? Try Harrison's Cave when not diving, it's in the a limestone cave in the middle of the island, pretty impressive.

Enjoy the rum, sun and sand... oh... and the DIVING :D

Aqua Buoy, Nope, never been there. This was a spur of the moment booking when someone sent me this website. I thought there had to be a catch (there was a $100.00 per person tax and fees on top of the quoted cost) but it was all above board.

I'll definetly make it to the cave. Any good tips on sites to dive besides some of the usual that I've found on ScubaBoard (e.g. the wrecks on the west coast)?

We are thinking of renting a car, but they are expesive for the week, do you know how easy (and costly) it is to get around using public transportation?

Thanks for the well wishes!

Hi

I haven't dived there and the only thing I know of is the wrecks you mentioned and that seahorses are fairly common... so am told.

Transport in Barbados is a little more organised than on some of the other islands, but similar in principle. You'll get small minibuses (15-18persons) and you get hail them down at bus designated bus stops, if they pass you they're probably full! They're called ZR's in Barbados (if my memory served me right) and there should be fixed fees and buses will serve given zones or Parishes. You should be able to find the rate from your local hotel and you'll probably find the main bus terminal in Bridgetown and figure out where you want to go.

In general you should have no problems and rates will definitely be better than rentals, of course you forgo the flexibility and freedom so find out if the buses go to the places you want, also evaluate the option of hiring a taxi for a day if you're going to spend most of your time underwater.

On one note... most foreigners in the Caribbean for the first time find the driving a bit scary but is much safer than appears - this applies to whether you're driving or being driven, mind you Barbados has good roads and much better driving than most other islands.

I hope you have a blast! Sorry I can't help you more on the dive sites bit.

we just got back from Barbados thus weekend. Wew stayed at the Hilton but actually walked down to the Amaryllis on the beach. It looked nice and the staff there was friendly. We were travelling with a 1 year old so used taxis for the most part. The public transportation looked very easy and was suggested by all of the locals as a good way to get around.

We dove with Barbados Blue and they were great. They are out of the Hilton and the DM was a marine biologist which was very educational for all of us. We loved it and wil go back!

That is insanely cheap. I just emailed my wife to see if she wants to go (at the Amaryllis too).

rpodos, let me know if you decide to go over the same dates. We'll coordinate the diving!

diving momma:
we just got back from Barbados thus weekend. Wew stayed at the Hilton but actually walked down to the Amaryllis on the beach. It looked nice and the staff there was friendly. We were travelling with a 1 year old so used taxis for the most part. The public transportation looked very easy and was suggested by all of the locals as a good way to get around.

We dove with Barbados Blue and they were great. They are out of the Hilton and the DM was a marine biologist which was very educational for all of us. We loved it and wil go back!

Hey diving momma - how was the diving in Barbados? I've never considered it, but with deals like I've just learned about, I'll have to! How does it compare with other places that you've been in the Caribbean?

We're in!! Same dates as Tobagoman. :D

FYI, this is a tad more expensive than it seems. First there are some hefty flight taxes. Second, they are sold out on the less expensive rooms at the Amaryllis... we had to go with an oceanfront studio (pity us :lol: ). Total of $1500 and change for two people... which is still ridiculously cheap for airfare, hotel, breakfast and taxes. :)

BTW, the website doesn't work very well... I ended up calling the 800 number, and worked with a rep named Joanna, who was very nice and efficient.

Now to start researching the diving!

Back
Top Bottom