Inexpensive comparable BACKUP dive computer ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I use a Perdix AI as my primary Dive Computer. I am looking for an inexpensive (but good) backup. I think it should be a wrist or hose mount where I can stow it during a dive and only access it if my Perdix fails (God forbid). I would like for the algorithms to be somewhat comparable. By the way, at this time I am ONLY Rec diving on air but may use nitrox in the future. I've live too long to start Tec diving. I'll just go down, blow some bubbles, look at fish, and come up relaxed.
The Perdix is WAY more computer than I need, but it's what I have. I don't want or need any real technical answers, just brand, style, and reason for recommendations.
Thanks in advance -- MM

The Perdix can be set to come close to the algorithms of most any computer on the market. You just have to understand gradient factors or unlock VPM and play with the settings. For recreational diving only? I'd look for an inexpensive Oceanic Veo 100 or 180. At least until the Deep 6 computers come out.
Heck the Oceanic BUD is only 199 and does nitrox with dual algorithms. It's designed to be clipped off and if you take the clip off you could toss it in a pocket. Better yet clip to a d ring or length of bungee in the pocket.
Oceanic B.U.D Backup Dive Computer

I'd choose a computer that uses the same transmitter as the Perdix AI. This would suggest an Aqualung as I believe that they own the company that manufacturs the transmitter used by Shearwater. I think Oceanic also uses the same manufacturer for their transmitter.

I'd choose a computer that uses the same transmitter as the Perdix AI. This would suggest an Aqualung as I believe that they own the company that manufacturs the transmitter used by Shearwater. I think Oceanic also uses the same manufacturer for their transmitter.

"Inexpensive"?

While the Perdix AI is primary, I don't think that I need to be air integrated with my backup computer. I think all I need is a basic computer. I've been looking at the Oceanic Geo 2.0 and the Veo. The Aqualung I300 is also appealing. I looked for a Hollis dg03 but couldn't readily find one, and I don't have to have AI unless it's cheap.

Thanks for the input so far. - MM

If your diving is in places that have a local dive shop (that is, no big expeditions), I would say just forget the backup computer.

Think about what your worst case scenario is. You are doing recreational dives and you have an excellent and very reliable primary computer in which you can easily change the AA battery if it starts to run low on a dive trip. So your chance of it failing in the first place is pretty low. In the rare case that it does fail, then you just ascend and don't do another dive that day, and then rent one for the next day.

But I guess for $199, the Bud is sort of designed for your particular concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom