Inexpensive Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are only about 10 pounds negative full and about 1 pound negative empty.

Originally Posted by Soggy
"Since it's got only one regulator outlet and more points of failure, what do you intend to use these for?"

I think I will second that, I use mine for diving.

Vintage divers don't need a BC in most cases, in the event I choose to use one I would use my SeaTec horsecollar and yes it has plenty of lift for vintage divers who largely know how to weight themselves or better put--how not to.

N

Here is a Picture of me diving Roger's set. No Weight needed. Trim was good also.

VintageTwinAvatar.jpg

Here is my Black Set of 72's with a Drysuit and Thermals, I'm using 16lbs of Lead, Trim works out better than any other Doubles I've had. Besides offsetting for Squeeze, I really do not have to add any air to my Suit.

modDSC05081.jpg

Can't wait to use the Yellow Set this Saturday Night, and yes I'll be using a Double Hose(RAM from Bryan at VDH). Not having to use a BC or Wing is very Liberating.

Soggy:
I was simply trying to understand what the point was in diving a doubles set if it didn't provide you with redundancy.

For the same reason some guys (& gals) drive vintage Hot Rods or collect and use vintage Audio Gear...etc plus the twin 72's balance out really well and provide 140 cu ft of gas. When I get my triple set together it'll be like having triple carbs on a flathead V-8.

Quote soggy:

"I was simply trying to understand what the point was in diving a doubles set if it didn't provide you with redundancy."

Soggy is DIR only. It was by accident he answered the thread. He knows nothing about vintage and did not impy he did. The answer to the question is BECAUSE WE CAN.

I like this advtisement because it portrays the excitemnt of diving that was never lost or forgotten by many of us and still come out of the water in amazement that we lived yet again to tell the story!

7ACF6E433D37470C8EC489B056B387AA.jpg

N

Soggy:
I was simply trying to understand what the point was in diving a doubles set if it didn't provide you with redundancy.

The use of doubles has many advantages in balance and also for better positioning a double hose regulator . I like small 40 or 50 cu ft doubles because they are also light weight.

The need for redundancy increases only as equipment reliability decreases.

Some may find it hard to believe, but it is not hard to show (both analytically and empirically) that must well maintained double hose regulators are far more reliable than a modern regulator/ tank set.

In most situations, I would trust my double hose more than two independent single hose. And that is saying a lot, since I do think that most single hose regulators are actually very reliable. :wink:

Luis H:
The use of doubles has many advantages in balance and also for better positioning a double hose regulator . I like small 40 or 50 cu ft doubles because they are also light weight.

The need for redundancy increases only as equipment reliability decreases.

Some may find it hard to believe, but it is not hard to show (both analytically and empirically) that must well maintained double hose regulators are far more reliable than a modern regulator/ tank set.

In most situations, I would trust my double hose more than two independent single hose. And that is saying a lot, since I do think that most single hose regulators are actually very reliable. :wink:

Pardon me if I am skeptical....I won't argue with you since I am out of my element here and have zero interest in vintage gear.

Back
Top Bottom