Inflator Elbow Positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ringmod65

Contributor
Reaction score
Tobin,

I have been shopping for a new singles wing and have been researching suitable candidates.

I have been told to avoid the DSS singles wings as the - center - position of the inflator elbow, in combination with a single reg significantly curtails one's ability to attain proper "head back" trim. Although I have not dived a DSS wing, I have examined several DSS rigs and this does appear to be problematic.

I'm a big fan of DSS products and own several. The center inflator elbow, however, may be a deal-breaker for me.

Please convince me otherwise.

-rm

Center position of the inflator does not impact ability for "head back" trim.

If anything, the 1st stage of the regulator is what people have issue with.

Here's a picture of the LCD30 wing and a diver in trim:
elissa_kauai_border.jpg

And another picture with the LCD30, a few years later:
elissa_molokini.jpg

Tobin,

I have been shopping for a new singles wing and have been researching suitable candidates.

I have been told to avoid the DSS singles wings as the - center - position of the inflator elbow, in combination with a single reg significantly curtails one's ability to attain proper "head back" trim. Although I have not dived a DSS wing, I have examined several DSS rigs and this does appear to be problematic.

I'm a big fan of DSS products and own several. The center inflator elbow, however, may be a deal-breaker for me.

Please convince me otherwise.

-rm

If ae3753 pics don't convince you there's not much more I can add, other than to say we have sold many thousands of single wings, all with centered elbows, with few complaints.

I have been told to avoid the DSS singles wings as the - center - position of the inflator elbow,

My **guess** is most of those who would tell you such things have run out of other reasons not to use DSS. :wink:

Tobin

I will agree with Don, It is my 1st stage that I hit my head on before the elbow on my wing. If you are in the San Diego area you are welcome to try out my LCD30 if you wish.

My wife dives the DSS LCD 30 wing with her Sherwood Blizzard, the ultimate head banger. She just rotates the cylinder a few degrees to dodge the elbow and it's all good.

As for some hitting their head on the regulator that's personal set-up. The elbow is on a limp airbag so that's hardly a concern.

Pete

I have no issue with the elbow. If anything to object about, the inflator hose is very short (I still haven't fully adapted to it - meaning I find it hard to get a good grip while orally inflating, but otherwise fine).

Seems like an interesting point, and a valid question, to me; certianly not an attempt at 'bashing' DSS (which Tobin seems to believe it is). I would ask a similar question, as I'm using a Sherwood Magnum regulator with a DIN adaptor, which leaves little real estate between the back of my head and the regulator. Trying to fit an inflator elbow in there would be, at best, uncomfortable. Worst case is that it would severely limit my mobility. I don't consider the rotating and misaligning the tank/valve/regulator assembly a valid option, as it could dimish the ability to operate the tank valve while wearing it.

I'm commenting on this, and asking the same question, does DSS provide an off-center option for inflator elbows? I ask because I was just a few dollars shy of being ready to call and order a backplate and wing assembly. Now I am having second thoughts as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think DSS makes some impressive products with great quality and excellent service. However, I think there's an opportunity for improvement here with some of the single tank products.

I'm not sure how good I will be at explaining this just in words (and my luggage is packed for a trip that starts on tuesday, so I'll not open it just for pictures).

In my case (also using a LCD30), because of the way that I position the BP/W on the tank, the elbow sits above the point where the tank curves, and below the point where the regulator is connected. In order to make the elbow hit the regulator, I would have to raise the wing upper on the tank, but then the upper tank cam-band would be too high on the tank (now, on my 15L steel the upper camband is at ~2-3cm from the curved part of the tank). So I find it hard to place the elbow at regulator's level. You could more easily lower it on the tank (and then it would hit the tank itself) if you wish (but then the regulator would sit too high).

Just out of curiosity where is your lower dump valve? It should be on the inside left of the wing. Ie you grab it with your left hand to dump. I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone is hitting their head on the elbow. All you need to do is cock it slightly and it comes right over the left shoulder and does not interfere with the reg, head, valve, or any other item. You do not have to have it pointing straight up. Loosen, tilt, re-tighten. End of problem. Sounds as if those telling you to avoid them want you to buy something else for some reason. Don't. Their argument is BS.

.....did you know that you can rotate the wing 'elbow' ? Perhaps rotate the elbow enough 'degrees' to one side to give you some extra clearance for the 1st-stage ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom