Inflator Hose Blew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm . . . :huh: Translation, please?

Come on, you have no idea what I was saying???:D Now let's see if I can figure out what I was trying to say.

The force of the air escaping from the blow out was rushing into the water creating many bubbles. Pop, rushing air into water, sinking kid.

Reactions: Jax
if your corrugated hose blows and your BC begins to empty itself (and note that it WILL take a little time to empty)

Not sure if I am reading this right. If the corrugated hose completely brakes or is dislodged from the BC fitting, it is going to dump air FAST. It won't be high pressure air, but it will be a decent volume of air. That is like a 3/4" diameter hole open to dump whatever air is in the BC.

Since they were at the surface, I would assume that the BC was fully inflated. So the immediate dumping of all the air in the BC due to the now large opening would make it look like a tank freeflow when the opening got below the surface of the water. The difference being that the exiting of air would not last very long in comparison to a full tank being emptied from a burst disc or tank seal failure..

Not sure if I am reading this right. If the corrugated hose completely brakes or is dislodged from the BC fitting, it is going to dump air FAST. It won't be high pressure air, but it will be a decent volume of air. That is like a 3/4" diameter hole open to dump whatever air is in the BC.

Since they were at the surface, I would assume that the BC was fully inflated. So the immediate dumping of all the air in the BC due to the now large opening would make it look like a tank freeflow when the opening got below the surface of the water. The difference being that the exiting of air would not last very long in comparison to a full tank being emptied from a burst disc or tank seal failure..

This sounds like it was it. As inst thought it was the tank, but once it lost all its air it was done. The loud pop, just too much to handle at the time and blew? What would cause this?

The inflator hose normally attaches as an elbow fitting, and normally in a hard plastic. Now, imagine that BC thrown into a trunk, and the rental tanks on top of it. If you bend down an elbow, it will give or crack along the outside connection point.

Somehow, that inflator hose had some outside influence damaging it. It's not something that would just 'happen'.

The fitting that the elbow screws onto is a 2 piece clamp that sandwiches the bladder.....these can come loose or crack and result in a BC that doesn't hold air.
Same goes for the OPR valve.

Last edited:
At first I agreed with TSM. If a LP inflator hose blows it should not affect the air in the BC.

But if you think about it some more, if the LP inflator hose exploded it could possibly give a good yank to the corregated hose on the BC and also the related fittings etc. So you might have a LP hose blow and cause damage to the BC itself, causing it to rapidly loose air and be unable to hold any air.

Would seem to be unlikely, but not impossible... if it can happen it will happen sooner or later.

And yes, LP hoses can just explode without any real warning.

YO --- It was not an LP inflator hose that blew, it was the corrugated hose that the LP feeds . . . once the air was 'gone' from the BC, it 'stopped' leaking.

YO --- It was not an LP inflator hose that blew, it was the corrugated hose that the LP feeds . . . once the air was 'gone' from the BC, it 'stopped' leaking.

That hose is not going to make a loud noise whenit fails.

Could've been the POP of the plastic breaking. :idk:

I can see where a hose blowing might scare the kid ( I know it would scare me!) They yank on inflator while trying to figure out what is going on, older bc, kid scared strength, now you have a double problem. Glad to hear the issue was only a nuisance and was stopped before it became a problem. Controlling kids in class is an emphasis item from my instructor as I work towards my DM, as she puts it, kids of all ages. Have to keep very close eye on to prevent things like giant strides without reg in, they are only funny when an experienced diver pulls that trick. ( makes you wish you had the cam ready!) I also wonder about the weighting, maybe it was ok, but usually students are overweighted. I would have a DM or an AI in the water first before having students do giant strides, just in case...

Back
Top Bottom