Info about Natural Springs in Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoonDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm recently certified and looking to get in some practice dives locally. Does anyone know anything about Natural Springs in New Paris Ohio? I'm hoping to find someplace with decent visibility. Thanks for any input.

I'm recently certified and looking to get in some practice dives locally. Does anyone know anything about Natural Springs in New Paris Ohio? I'm hoping to find someplace with decent visibility. Thanks for any input.

Never been there myself, I usually head up to Gilboa or Whitestar, but here's their website.
Natural Springs Resort: Scuba Diving

If you go, let us know what you think.

From "Shore Diving U.S.A." :

Natural Springs Resort
Ohio
USA East
Home

Submitted By:
Joseph Martine

Submitter Comments:
Fairly shallow throughout the quarry, but is more "alive" with plants and fish than any other quarries in the area. It contains the usual boats, cars, etc. The quarry is surrounded by a very nice campground complete with a snack bar, swimming pool and sandy beach area. There is plenty of parking and pavement all the way to the staging area for divers. Air is available on site. All of the park staff are friendly and helpful.

Directions:
With easy access off and on I-70 at exit 156b (Richmond, IN.), your access is via ALL paved roads (including into the park!) and yet far enough away from the freeway (2.5 miles) that you can enjoy the feelings of being in the great outdoors. Directions: East or Westbound, take Indiana exit 156B to Eastbound US 40. Travel 1.5 miles to flashing yellow light and turn left onto State Route 320. Travel 1 mile into village of New Paris, passing a Sunoco Gas Station on your left.. Look for our resort sign just after the Sunoco, on the left.

Diver Reviews: (Please share your own experiences by clicking here!)

07/01/2007 Anonymous (Avg: 3.93 Review) - It is a nice place to dive, with lots to see and close to home.

Diver Averages for Natural Springs Resort (1=worst, 5=best)

Average Site Condition

Ease of Shore Entry: 5.00
Bottom Conditions: 3.00
Reef Conditions: 3.00
Animal Life: 4.00
Plant Life: 4.00
Facilities: 5.00
Solitude: 4.00
Roads: 5.00
*Site Average: 3.93

Average Enjoyment Level

Snorkel: 5.00
Beginner Scuba: 5.00
Intermediate Scuba: 5.00
Advanced Scuba: 5.00
Night diving Scuba: 5.00

Number of reviews for this site: 1

1670-6-13-2

Home | Search | About You | About Us | Contact ShoreDiving.com

© Copyright 2000-2010 ShoreDiving.com, LLC. tm All rights reserved.
Please read and understand the Disclaimer concerning information contained in this site.

Shallow quarry. Entry gets you one fill.

Decent place to practice once in a while.

If no-one around, vis can be not bad. However, it has a well used swim area, so in swimming season, vis can be pretty bad because of the muck getting stirred up.

Ken

I dive NSR quite frequently. lately about every week or every other week. its not glamorous but its close to me (I live in Englewood, OH) and its wet. since you're new, its a great place to practice and get comfortable. its deeper than a pool but not deep enough to get into a situation that could case you major harm (unless you intentionally tried). drop me a line if you want to go diving and need a buddy or a tour guide. I'm out there on Wednesdays or Sundays typically. I start back to school in a week so my Wednesdays will be cut out sadly. Otherwise I typically dive Gilboa, its just a longer trip. Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

Rob

Never been there myself, I usually head up to Gilboa or Whitestar, but here's their website.
Natural Springs Resort: Scuba Diving

If you go, let us know what you think.

Looks like you are very close to me - I'm also near East Fork! I was looking for something closer than Gilboa or Whitestar. Natural Springs looks to be about a 2 hour drive v.s. 3 or more hours to Gilboa or Whitestar. Easier to make a day trip out of it. I haven't been to Whitestar -- how long does it take you to drive there?

I was also wondering if any of the State Park lakes are worth it. I know there's no diving at East Fork (wouldn't want to try with all the boats anyway). We checked out Stonelick which does allow diving, but it looked like mud, mud, mud...

Looks like you are very close to me - I'm also near East Fork! I was looking for something closer than Gilboa or Whitestar. Natural Springs looks to be about a 2 hour drive v.s. 3 or more hours to Gilboa or Whitestar. Easier to make a day trip out of it. I haven't been to Whitestar -- how long does it take you to drive there?

I was also wondering if any of the State Park lakes are worth it. I know there's no diving at East Fork (wouldn't want to try with all the boats anyway). We checked out Stonelick which does allow diving, but it looked like mud, mud, mud...

Diving is allowed at Ceasars Creek within the no wake zones, but I doubt the vis is good.

I dive NSR quite frequently... drop me a line if you want to go diving and need a buddy or a tour guide.
Rob

Rob, Thanks for the tour guide offer -- we may just take you up on that.
Ginny

There is also Circleville Twin Quarries, a little south of Columbus.

Another shallow one, but used by some locals for practice.

Ken

I was wondering about East Fork, but haven't had a chance to inquire since moving here (from Mason) in May '10. The water looks muddy (similar to Caesar Creek) since there is so much dirt from being a man-made lake.

White Star is about 3.5 to 4 hours from us. I used to live 15 minutes from there, and I used to be the webmaster at Gilboa for a few years, so I tend to be partial/nostalgic about those two locations... but open to others.

Another place not real far away, but I haven't been there in a few years, is Joe's Quarry near Lagrange, KY (north of Louisville).... maybe an hour from us. Don't know if it's still operating though.

In general, if you're scoping out new dive sites, the best ones in the Midwest tend to be old Limestone quarries. They have the best attributes for water clarity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom