Info on the Navy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone already mentioned this .... but G SEE A RECRUITER !

DON'T take your son with you, though.
The recruiter would try to fill his head with travel, glamour, hero stuff, etc.

Just go by yourself and explain to the recruiter that you want to find out what your son is thinking about getting into ... He'll want to know you son's name and stuff, and the recruiter will follow up with him/you. But ask lots of questions and demand REAL ANSWERS... don't let the recruiter B.S. you (that is his job).

Also, don't let them promise your son anything without putting it in writing! ... ("oh sure, you'll get into BUD school as soon as you finish Basic Training, no problem!") If that werren't in writing, then it's NOT a sure thing.

In any case, the recruiter is your best source of info, you just have to wade through his Salesman talk and figure out for yourself what he's REALLY telling you :)

That said... the military is an EXCELLENT choice for either career or just 'till he figures out what he wants.

I post a question, go to bed, wake up and there is more info than I thought possible. Thank you very much!

One reason I'm posting here is to get people's opinions who have been there. We will talk to a recruiter eventually and I know how recruiters operate, they are salesmen. I was in the Army Reserve.

EOD- yes, this mother hopes her son doesn't choose to go this route.

My big concern for my son is that while he is in the service, he acquires skills that will help him get a job in the civilian world later. He is interested in firefighter/paramedic training. I asked about diving, because I was sort of picturing something along the lines of what Public Safety Divers do.

Would he have to decide between Fire/Rescue and being a Diver, or is sort of like the Army where you have a specialty and can go to jump school?

Julie

Juls64:
I post a question, go to bed, wake up and there is more info than I thought possible. Thank you very much!

One reason I'm posting here is to get people's opinions who have been there. We will talk to a recruiter eventually and I know how recruiters operate, they are salesmen. I was in the Army Reserve.

EOD- yes, this mother hopes her son doesn't choose to go this route.

My big concern for my son is that while he is in the service, he acquires skills that will help him get a job in the civilian world later. He is interested in firefighter/paramedic training. I asked about diving, because I was sort of picturing something along the lines of what Public Safety Divers do.

Would he have to decide between Fire/Rescue and being a Diver, or is sort of like the Army where you have a specialty and can go to jump school?

Julie

Hi Julie,
I just read your post. I was a Crash/Fire/Rescue Technician in the Air Force. All 5 branches of the military attend the same academy in Texas. The training is quite intense and had a very high drop out/failure rate at the time, but is also one of the best in the country for training fierfighters. This military academy is also recognized as a national certifying facility and the training and credentials earned there are accepted nationwide. It is a very solid foundation for a civilian career post military and also lends itself to a very nice resume. The standards that the Air Force requires us to maintain just to be at the basic firefighter level are extremely high. I had to hold credentials as FF1, FF2, Airport FF, HazMat Technician level, Hazmat Incident Commander, FF Instructor I & II, Fire Officer I & II, ARFF and FF Vehicle license. All of these were nationally recognized credentials and were taught by various agencies from around the country to include the Maryland Fire & Rescue Institute (I think that's the name....it's been a few years since I was into the FF'ing and my memory is failing me at the moment.... anyway, it's the one that writes the FF manuals).
All this is probably all greek to you, but any FF's on the list can tell you that the training to achieve all of these credentials is significant, and is a big plus when they are in civilian status again and applying for jobs.
I am happy to answer any questions about the Fire service in the military and can give you a good idea of what your son will have to do to become a FF for the military since all 5 branches require the same training and accomplish it together at the same facility.
As to the diving, I know in the Air Force there are a few jobs that send the candidates to the Navy dive school. But the diving is only a tool for the technician to use and not the main job. I have also attended a commercial diving academy and can tell you that although I do love diving and did enjoy that training and work, it is a completely different animal that scuba and can sometimes have a detrimental effect on one's desire to go diving for fun when they spend their days working underwater.
Now if he goes the military FF route, and dives for fun, then when he does move to the civilian sector he can apply for a job that has a water rescue team and go from there. There are fire departments that do maintain a full time water rescue/dive team. They are just not very common.
Hope that helps a bit!

take care and dive safe!----brandon

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the response. I hope you don't mind if I bug you in the future with more questions.

Julie

Bob3:
The Coast Guard has the best grub of any of the branches though.
(except the nuke subs). :D

..and that might be enough to influence a 6'3 240lb growing boy like my son!

Julie

I just happen to be a Fireman. I am also a Diver on the Water Rescue Team. I also happen to be a U.S. Navy Submarine veteran (86'-90').

First off there are many different ways to dive in the Navy. Like its been said earlier, SEAL's are not the best way to go. They are naval commandos, that also dive. There primary focus is learning how to kill our enemies, not diving.

I would also suggest he stay away from submarines. I know Ive been there. Submarines are a little different. Yes they do have rescue swimmers. They are used when the boat is pulling in/leaving port. Thats almost it. If there is any work done over the side regular Navy divers do that. About the only time you would see a crewman do work over the side is for a SIMPLE inspection or a serious last ditch underway emergency.

I would suggest he look at NavyDiver.org look at the many different programs the Navy has.

Be careful when talking to a recruiter. Burn this in your brain. They WILL lie to you. I thought I would be smart and take my Chief Warrant Officer 4 Stepfather with me. Only problem my Army CWO stepfather didnt know jack about the Navies programs or manning situation. I wanted to be a SEAL myself. But back then they didnt guarantee a program for it. You had to request to go from the fleet. He then steered me to submarines till my two years was up to go to BUD/s (SEAL school). Knowing full well that once in the submarine force they would never let you out. I even chose the single most undermanned rating in the Navy, at that time.

If he thinks he would like to be a Fireman/Diver someday I would suggest looking at this. Look very hard at the HM (Hospital Corpsman) rating. All Navy divers have to come from certain jobs, called ratings in the Navy. Not every job qualifies. Someone posted above incorrectly about HM's. They CAN be divers. Who do you think takes care of sick divers? They even have a special school for them. HM is a very versatile rating, I wish I had pursued it. It has high value in many jobs out of the navy, such as: Fireman or Paramedic. In the Navy you can do many things. Almost every command I can think of has HM's. If he wants to crawl around in the sand with the Marines he can take care of them. Marines do not have medics. The U.S. Marine Corps uses Navy HM's for that. Always have. Submarines do not carry doctors underway, like some surface ships do. They have an IDC (Independant Duty Corpsman). That's an HM that went to IDC school. They learn battlefield surgery and the like.

After he picks a rating he needs to decide what kind of diving he wants to do. If he wants to be a Navy diver they have many schools but the pipeline's flow starts in two places. There is a seperate SCUBA school or Navy Second Class diving school. Both are in Panama City, FL. The SCUBA school is for Marine combat swimmers, shipboard rescue swimmers, etc. Second Class dive school is everything, SCUBA, hardhat, UW welding, etc. I think they even do a little mixed gas diving although that may be in First Class Dive school.

Good luck to your son. If you have further questions feel free to PM me. Whatever he does get it all in writing. Nothing and I mean nothing means jack if it aint in writing. Have all the schools he's guaranteed in WRITING.

I'll chime in too....

I'd tell your son not to limit his options to just the Navy and diving. Had I know those years ago I would've joined the Army as a 00B (Diver) rather than a 11C (Infantryman). If I were a little younger and didn't have the bum knees, I go back in for it. Something to think about.

The Marine Corps has their few good men.

NAVY CORPSMEN!

All Marine medics are Navy corpsmen. :D

I have to say one other thing (surprise).

If your son wants to be a Navy diver. And I mean ANY kind of diver. He had better be able to commit 100% and then be ready, willing and able to give some more. Physically and mentally.

Navy divers are some of the fittest people you will ever see. One reason some civilians get hurt diving Navy tables, is they are written for people with superb conditioning.

I mean superb. He better find out what the entrance PT test requires. Then he better be able to do it, then do some more. Minimums wont cut it, he'll wash out. He better love to run in the sand, flutter kicks (a particularly nasty exercise) and bodybuilders (combination squat thrust and pushup). Better LOVE them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom