Info on West Palm Beach area diving in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in West Palm Beach January 12-18. I would like some information on area diving. I am interested in the following:

1. What charter operations will be operating at that time of year?
2. What are some good shore diving sites?
3. I will have access to a boat during my stay. How difficult is it to locate the good boat dive sites by yourself?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

its Florida, we dive year round here! (well, most of us). yesterday in Palm Beach was top-to-bottom and 79 degrees! check out this flamingo tongue I found

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    176 KB · Views: 121
I will be in West Palm Beach January 12-18. I would like some information on area diving. I am interested in the following:

1. What charter operations will be operating at that time of year?
2. What are some good shore diving sites?
3. I will have access to a boat during my stay. How difficult is it to locate the good boat dive sites by yourself?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1. Many operate year round, weather permitting - see below - in no particular order (google and check the web sites):

"The Wetter the Better"
"Scuba Club of the Palm Beaches" (will do 1 tank dives and is a great option for new divers, which your profile indicates)
"Jim Abernethy"

You can also go a little down the road to Boynton Beach - search "Scuba Kev" - excellent op and great area to dive.

2. Unless you like sand, there are no viable shore diving options from the beach - Bonaire its not - HOWEVER - one of the best dives - from shore - is Blue Heron Bridge, located in Rivera Beach - it can be dove (dived?) approx 1 hour before high tide and is a GREAT dive - Keep this site in mind b/c the weather that time of year is very iffy - you stand a good chance of being blown out because of cold fronts that bring wind and resultant high seas.

3. As a new diver, and not familiar w/ the area, going out on your own is (IMHO) a really bad idea - all the diving is drift - so you need someone to drive the boat while each team dives - Because the current is always there, its easy - especially for a new diver (hell anyone!) to miss the site(s). That time of year you will likely not be blessed w/ flat calm seas. The $55/65 you spend on a charter will be money well spent - its not something you want to mess with for many reasons. :no:

PB has some of the best diving in FL. W/ a little weather luck you should have a great time.

Blue Heron Bridge is an awesome dive, and you can do it over and over and see something new every time. For any other shorediving I'd recommend coming a bit further south to Broward County, where these guys shoredive several times a week: Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

They're real friendly folks and easy to dive with and it's usually easy to buddy up with someone on any particular dive. I seriously agree that if you're a new diver that diving solo is a really really bad idea. If you see a meetup dive you want to go on and nobody else want to go, email me and I'll see if I can go with you.

The home LDS the meetup group uses is pretty good and cuts a discount to the meetup group members...though using the shop isn't a requirement to dive with the group.

I apologize for asking, but after reading your profile I'm not clear on one point. Just to confirm...you are certified, aren't you? That's kind of a predicate for any diving down here...

Last edited:
I will be in WPB Jan 12-19 . I will be open for any kind of diving. I've dove Blue heron bridge solo but Ive also done beach dives in Pompano and Lauderdale as well. I like the service at Jupiter dive center. If you wanna meet up and dive let me know

Thanks to everyone for the information. It has been a while since I have done any saltwater diving and am looking forward to it.

Also, I didn't mention it before because the distance seemed pretty insignificant to me, but I will be in WPB for a few days before heading to Ft. Lauderdale for the last 3 or 4 days of vacation. I am interested in any sites that I can get to in less than an hour or two from either location.

Shcubasteve - awesome pic. From the background it looks like I can expect some decent vis.

Jupiter31 - understand about the boat thing - that is why I asked. I will be visiting a friend who has a boat but doesn't dive. Even though he would keep watch on the boat, I don't know that he could chase down bubbles.

McKinness - I will definitely keep you in mind. My wife is certified but most likely won't be able to join me on this trip, so I will need a buddy.

Bilsant - yes, I am certified. I had 20-30 dives under my belt prior to certification. I

Hi murdrcycle!
Scubakevdm and I run underwater explorers we are a six pack dive charter in boynton beach. If you are new to diving or diving on your own we always have an in water dive guide. I have attached a link to our thread where we post the daily dive conditions and a lot of our customers will post their pictures. We hope to see you in January.
Here's a link to the Boynton Chronicle: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...379-boynton-dive-chronicles-new-improved.html

Thanks Wilsway - I would definitely prefer to dive with someone familiar with the area. With the exception of 1 dive at the Destin Jetties, all of my saltwater diving has been guided. I have done unguided plenty of times in lakes and quarries, but that is an entirely different world. I probably won't have a set schedule until after I arrive, but I will definitely keep you in mind and stay in touch.

OK - after doing a bit of research I am leaning towards an LBTS shore dive on Thursday the 13th and then some boat diving on Friday the 14th. I checked Gold Coast Scuba Divers and they don't have LBTS scheduled until Saturday. So, if anyone is interested in hitting LBTS for a few dives on 1/13 (probably late A.M. through early P.M.) let me know.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom