initial pressure group using a dive computer at altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got a question that I haven't found in the forums (brief search) or covered in the users manual (Oceanic Veo 100 or DataMax Sport)

When altitude diving there are several factors that affect your nitrogen level.

1. The drive to altitude is like a prior dive. Per the PADI manual, 6 hours should be enough to equilibrate.

2. Again per PADI, use 2 pressure groups per 1000' to account for #1 above. So if I were driving from Sacramento, CA (sea level) to Tahoe (6500') I would be in pressure group N (14 groups) on arrival. Using the sea level RDP after a 'surface interval' of 2:19 - 5:19 I would be in group A and out of the chart respectively.

3. My Veo 100 manual says it samples the atmospheric pressure every 15 min if activated and every 30 if not (sounds like it does this while 'off'). Above 2000' the device automatically assumes fresh water.

Does anyone know if this means the computer is taking into account the drive, or just starting from a surface nitrogen equilibrium assumption? Seems to me this could be a significant difference.

My Oceanic DataMax Sport has similar functions, but has more "nitrogen bars" than the Veo does. I may be altitude diving in 2 weeks (3500') and I'll watch to see if either the veo or datamax show nitrogen bars when arriving at altitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom