Inn of Last Resort Roatan, Honduras April 26 - May 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdixon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Inn of Last Resort Roatan, Honduras
April 26 - May 3

"The best deal is with Perry, you can reach him at pdixon@ncdivers.com He locked in on a special months ago for $695 + 16% tax. The 2008 rate with Inn of Last Resort is $895+ 16% tax the rates on their website have the 2007 rates which hasn’t been updated yet. "

Lets go Diving!!

Diver $695, non-diving $595
ppdo (plus 16% tax)

INCLUDES: Welcome drink at friendly bar, 7 nights in AC room, airport transfers, 3 meals per day, tanks, weights and belt, 6 days of 3 tank dives including one night dive, unlimited shore diving, private lagoon for sunning, swimming/snorkeling, and a picnic at the beach (weather permitting)! Not Included Bar Tab and Staff Gratuity

$150 deposit is due at the time of booking. Final payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.

Is ILR still going to be open in May? What is the status of their construction project?

What construction project? The sale is not complete. It could be within thirty days. They have bookings into the summer. My wife and I just got back from our sixth great time at the ILR and are going back in July for our seventh trip. To us you can't get a better dive vacation.

I have been hearing a lot about the pending sale and have been assured that nothing is going to change through this season.

From all I have heard about the care the current owners put into the resort, I am expecting a great trip sale or not.

:D If their are any changes it will all be for the good . We are all excited to get started . We will be able to offer some new and exciting Dives (caverns on the east end, Guanaja dives , Cochino dives and the mounds maby even the wreck of the Jose J II @ 210ft) , Fly fishing on Guanaja , Deep sea fishing ,Sailing, Many upgrades around the resort . I will try to keep everyone posted as the changes happen.
Inn of Last Resort Roatan, Honduras
April 26 - May 3

"The best deal is with Perry, you can reach him at pdixon@ncdivers.com He locked in on a special months ago for $695 + 16% tax. The 2008 rate with Inn of Last Resort is $895+ 16% tax the rates on their website have the 2007 rates which hasn’t been updated yet. "

Lets go Diving!!

Diver $695, non-diving $595
ppdo (plus 16% tax)

INCLUDES: Welcome drink at friendly bar, 7 nights in AC room, airport transfers, 3 meals per day, tanks, weights and belt, 6 days of 3 tank dives including one night dive, unlimited shore diving, private lagoon for sunning, swimming/snorkeling, and a picnic at the beach (weather permitting)! Not Included Bar Tab and Staff Gratuity

$150 deposit is due at the time of booking. Final payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.

If you are seriously considering a stay at the Inn of Last Resort over any of the many other (better) resorts on Roatan, I urge you to first read the account of our stay in January 2008. You'll find many glowing reviews of the place here and elsewhere on the internet, as we did before we went. But the reality is that the dive operation is unprofessional and arguably dangerous, the boats are in bad shape, and the resort doesn't seem to want to do anything about it until the sale of the resort is complete.

This is my opinion only (actually, everyone in our 21-person group has the same opinion, for what it's worth). But if you go, just go with all the info. In fact, Captain Ed is here on Scubaboard (eseadog), so ask him the hard questions about what happened in January before you book.

Link to my Trip Advisor review, which summarizes our experience.

It does sound like you had a difficult week, you have posted the same message several times.

We chose ILR because of the moderate price, closeness to town and the overall reputation of the owner / operators.

And there are a number of people who have great experiences, go back themselves and recommend the resort highly. Also I find that if I go on "Caribbean Time", relax and enjoy, it is all good.

So thanks for sharing your experience, but I am confident that your week was an exception and not the normal for the resort.

So thanks for sharing your experience, but I am confident that your week was an exception and not the normal for the resort.

I hope you're right, but I doubt that's the case. It seems more likely that they are no longer putting the money into keeping their boats in proper working order, and as a result, their standards are slipping. So I predict more dissatisfied customers (but hopefully no accidents).

As I stated in my review, their problems are with their unsatisfactory dive operation, but the resort itself -- the grounds, the rooms, the food -- is quite nice. So yes, aside from the diving, I am sure you will have an excellent time. I hope that, at the very least, they will have fixed the boats' oil leaks by now.

p.s. I have posted about my experience several times because you have created multiple Inn of Last Resort threads, and I want to spread the word about our experience, so anyone thinking of going there has the benefit of hearing all sides.

I think some pepole just like to complane and hear them self talk!

Instead of throwing a hand grenade like that, why don't you -- as a representative of the Inn of Last Resort -- address the substantive issues, like why your boats chronically leaked copious amounts of oil in the marine park (has this been fixed?)... why your boats still need to be hotwired (sure, spare parts may be hard to find, but it's been a month and a half since we were there, and someone reported this issue is still going on)... why so little remorse was shown for the injury of a guest...

If I were a representative of the ILR, I would try to protect my reputation by addressing these issues directly in a public forum, instead of saying dismissing valid opinions as "complaning."

Since people keep trying to dismiss me as some complainer, I feel the need to restate that we enjoyed the resort itself, and I thought the resort grounds, accommodations, meals and bar (and bartender) were all excellent -- and anyone traveling there will enjoy those aspects of the resort. It's specifically the substandard dive operation I have issues with, and since Captain Ed is reading and posting here, I would like to hear what has been/is being done to improve on these issues. If I don't like the dive operation, I can choose not to go to the ILR in the future. But if the boats are still polluting the marine park, that is a bigger issue that affects the whole island.

oil-slick-surrounding.jpg

Oil slick surrounding Inn of Last Resort boat "Captain Ariel" on mooring in Roatan Marine Park

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom