Innovative Contraptions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wondered how long a bottle would last...I figured not long. That's why I thought an impeller in a small tube would be nice...for small digs! But my hand is more compact, water resistant, no batteries needed and its multi-functional :eek:)

I purchased this underwater video camera with 65 ft cable. I plan on building a cage around it with PVC pipe then mounting scuba flashlights for better viewing. I have a few projects underway and it would be helpful if i could deploy this contraption before i jump in

I might have some pics for you today

9d_1_b.JPG

Those are very cool! Did you get that at Harbor Freight?

JB

Ok, here is the project underway. The camera will mount on the top middle bar and i will have other scuba lights mounted to illuminate the bottom. The camera also has lights mounted inside it

600_100_0587.JPG

Looks great so far. Great project. There are some serious discussions of building those elsewhere on the board. Out of curiousity, why did you go with such a large frame? That many lights?

JB

The frame is PVC pipe from Home Depot (painted yellow). The lights will be scuba lights mounted into the frame all battery operated. This device will be used to drift over wreck sites. I will be able to rest the cage directly over an object for closer observation.
I dropped the camera in my dirty coy pond and with the internal camera lights i could see a lot. So my guess is with the scuba lights added it will work fine.

Plans for a homemade side scan sonar.

http://www.portup.com/~dfount/sidescan.htm

I haven't had a chance to build it yet, a nasty little thing called work keeps getting in the way of my fun!!

Cheers!!
Kim

When using a handheld metal detector a ping pong paddle makes a good fan. It moves more material than your hand and is light and easy to carry and use.

If you need to move a LOT of material an air lift or dredge can be the way to go.

There are also people who use homemade sifter carts to sift the beach sand for good stuff. I have some plans for two versions, one for dry sand and one for use in the water.
These can be better than a metal detector especially on gold chains. Gold chains are hard to detect with a metal detector but are easily picked up with a sifter.

There are lots of variations just remember to make it a useable size and choose the screen size to have openings that won't let the good stuff through but are big enough to let the sand past easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom