Inon D180 vs D180s strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skyguy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi: I've read lots of good experiences with the D180, but nothing on the 180s. They put an LED focus light on the 180s and I was wondering if the LED works better or not. The price difference is about $65 (the 180s being cheaper). I am going to buy a strobe in the next few weeks, any info would be appreciated. I have the oly 5050 and pt-15 housing and am totally new to UW photography. Thank-you for the advice. Wayne.

I don't know, I have the D-180. I like the focusing light on mine because it turns off just before the pic is taken.

skyguy:
Hi: I've read lots of good experiences with the D180, but nothing on the 180s. They put an LED focus light on the 180s and I was wondering if the LED works better or not. The price difference is about $65 (the 180s being cheaper). I am going to buy a strobe in the next few weeks, any info would be appreciated. I have the oly 5050 and pt-15 housing and am totally new to UW photography. Thank-you for the advice. Wayne.
These are the differences
D180
Switch controlled focus light (shutter-linked)
half-step aperture value control
4-step manual
+1/4 compensation switch

D180s
LED focus light (shutter-linked)
Full-step aperture value control
No manual control
+1/2 EV compensation switch

IMO the $65 extra for the D-180 is well worth it:
Focus light: you can switch the focus light on and off. With the 180s the LED comes on when you turn the strobe on. Both are shutter-linked i.e. goes off when the flash goes off while taking a picture.
Aperture value control: on the D-180 it has half step built into the dial. With the D-180s you have to engage the +1/2 EV compensation switch to get half step.
Manual control: The D-180 has 4 step manual control. The D-180s doesn't.

I agree with ReyeR. I have the D-180 and the extra money for it over the 180-s is well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom