Inon D2000 with S100 settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pallse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a used D2000 strobe from a friend to be used with my S100. I have been searching and reading about strobe suggestions in the old threads and I was between S2000 and Ys-01 but a cheaper offer was presented for the D2000 so I grab it.

Now I am in deep confusion as I was unable to find out from the old threads I've read what are the right settings for this strobe and camera.. Magnet on? Magnet off? Manual? Tv? Av? etc...

I am shooting always wide angle while holding my breath. I am a freediver so my underwater time is limited to my apneistic abilities. I also want to save battery of the camera (this plays a role in strobe settings i guess). I shoot always movement objects (people, fishes, etc) in Manual no flash.

I would appreciate it if someone can write down in the simple form what are the right settings for this camera and strobe combination.

Thank you all,
Dimi

Hi Dimi - I think you would get a better response by posting this in both the flash area and the Canon? area. I could help with flash settings but have no idea about the camera.

Hi Ardy,

Sorry I missed that there are such categories. I hope someone who have an S100 (or S95 or S110) with D-2000 will respond.

Magnet on.

There are no 'right' settings for every shot. It really depends on what you're trying to create and what conditions you have available to create it.

If you want to freeze action then you'll probably want 1/250 or higher.
Aperture will affect your background colours and depth of field. F4 and 1/250 is a good starting point. ISO 100 or 200 depending on ambient light conditions.

The strobe position/angle is important and power needs to be balanced with distance to the object. I don't know how long you've got on apnea to switch settings underwater- but I'd be tempted to use TTL for the strobe if possible so you can concentrate on other things.

Maybe I placed my question in wrong basis. I agree there are no right settings. I am aware of these you mentioned.

I always shoot in Manual mode no flash. Now, having the external strobe as a new element on my equipment I guess that I have to put magnet on, put camera in Manual mode (as it is always there), turn on camera flash and choose the minimum flash power to save battery.

Then turn on the strobe and put the switch to M (manual mode) or elsewere ?? (please pay attention on this question as it is my main concern)

Then play with the EV compensation dial of the strobe and choose the power of the strobe depending of the results I get having a shutter speed of 1/250 or more, F4 or more and ISO 80 or 100 as in most times.

I took this one Enlightenment ? pallse with magnet off, S-TTL and camera on P, strobe position above camera and back looking bit upstairs, fisheye lens. Its not bad but I am sure that in manual mode I could get better result.

Personally I use manual mode with my S-2000 but on scuba I have plenty of time to play with my adjustments.

If you're keen to go manual, then go manual. It's pretty simple. Starting with at the 'B' position and increase/decrease accordingly. With practice you will get more of a feel for your common settings of f4 1/250 etc.

A wealth of information:
Underwater Photography
Underwater Strobe Guide|Underwater Photography Guide
Underwater Photography Techniques

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom