Inon problems??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I need to vent.

The saga began months ago when I began having problems with my Oly 5050 camera and then my Inon D-180 strobe. Both have been to their respective manufacturer's repair departments multiple times now but that is another story.

I sent the strobe back to Inon America in Minnesota last week because the repair for which I spent $85 plus $24 in shipping fees was useless. The moment I received it back from them the first time it still had the exact same problem for which I had sent it. He said I could send it back (so I paid shipping fees again) and he would GET RIGHT TO IT.

USPS says Inon received it Saturday, April 7. Steve from Inon emailed me on Tuesday that he would get to it on Wednesday (Why didn't he look at it on Monday, I wondered?). Steve just called me with shakiness in his voice, responding to my latest email that asked if it is going to be on my doorstep soon. But nooooooo. It turns out they think they never received it and he is just now telling me this.

I have to say that my camera was good to me for almost 3 years with no problems but geez, I really miss it. I just want it all back together again so I can resume taking UW pix!

Has anyone here had problems with Inon's service department?

I tracked down my package at the post office in MN. It has been sitting there all week waiting for someone to pick it up!

Not so funny thing is the postal person was not going to give me any info about my package because I am not the recipient. Even though I sent it, it is my property and I paid for the delivery and its insurance. Geez. Then she said I have to ask MY post office to call them and have them look for it. I begged and she found my package.

Inon Steve is on his way to FedEx as I type, sending me a loaner so I can dive with it on Sunday. :)

Glad to hear you are getting a loaner to keep you going. As another D-180 owner, what problem are you having with the strobe?

scubaguy655:
As another D-180 owner, what problem are you having with the strobe?
The modeling light stopped working.

I have been having other problems too, but I am unsure whether they are due to the strobe or camera (or, egads, could it be the user??). Lots of problems with exposure and focusing in all the various modes. :confused:

The CCD on the 5050 has already been replaced but then I had different problems.

My fingers are crossed for success when I take it out on Sunday.

Sounds like some bad luck with both your camera and strobe.

I have a D-180 and so far no problems with it other than the fiber optic cable breaking.
I have taken thousands of photos with it.

Not sure what problems you are having but if one of them is dark photos even though the strobe is firing check for a brake in the fiber optic cable. Mine broke at the the last right angle bend before the coupling to the strobe. The break is internal so you can't tell from looking at it but you can feel the break if you bend the cable slightly. This will cause the strobe to fire intermittently as well as throw off its timing.

Hint: Don't tighten the fiber optic coupling to the strobe all the way down. Back off just enough for it to be able to swivel.

Good luck with your repairs.

PS: I sent my close-up lens to Steve at Inon as it has a film on the inside between the two sections of glass. I was not able to take it apart. Lets see how that goes. It may not be worth the repair.

Inon's customer service is one of the worst I have encountered.

I bought 2 Inon Z240 strobes from a dealer in Japan - the nearest dealer to my neck of the woods. They came with instructions in Japanese. I emailed the dealer and was told that Inon doesnt supply him with English manuals.

I emailed Inon Japan and they said to contact the dealer - knowing *fully well* that the Japanese dealer wouldnt have the English manuals.

I emailed Inon USA and they said contact Inon Japan.

A bigger run-around I cannot think of. And for what? To prevent unauthorized use of a f'ing *manual*? You have to be kidding me. Do they not realize that the manual is only of use to their customers, who have paid good money for the strobe?

Any other industry and they'd get a swift kick up their backsides from the market. But we underwater photographers have a pretty high threshold for poor service, I think.

Ok, vent done.

Vandit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom