Inon UWL-100 28AD convert to Type 1 or 2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I usually use an UWL-100 Type 2 wet lens on my housing, but I noticed the UWL-100 28AD that I have is much shorter, especially with the dome port attached to it.

I am wondering if I can swap out my Type 2 mount from the UWL-100 and put it on the 28AD? I think that's what all those little screws are there for. Will the distance of the Type 2 mount cause the wet lens to be too far, thus extreme vignetting? Maybe I can put a Type 1 67mm thread on it instead? I mentioned in another thread that the lens port on my housing is beveled inward, creating an inward section that the UWL-100 28AD seem to fit into like a glove (the min/max of the bevel on the lens port and wet lens are both 43mm/48mm). The inward bevel of the lens port and outward bevel of the wet lens could be seen in next post.

I could put a Type 1 thread on my UWL-100 Type 2 lens, but the rear lens starts at 48mm and bevels out to 53mm, so it would never fit.

Last edited:
Looking more in detail of how the threaded mounts on the different lenses are. The 28AD lenses have their mounts much more forward of the lens, thus putting the UWL-100's Type 2 67mm thread ring on the UWL-100 28AD would still allow much of the rear lens to protrude out. The issue is how much will it protrude and whether it will grind with the port's glass lens before the lens threads bottom out with the port's.

Here is the UWL-100's Type 1 and 2 mounts, notice how thin the Type 1's ring is:

View attachment 219880

The mounting flange to rear lens measures to around 9mm.

Here is the AD mount:

View attachment 219879

The UWL-100 28AD's mount flange to rear lens measures around 14.5mm.

This means if I put the UWL-100's type 2 67mm thread on the 28AD, the lens would protrude out around 5.5mm.

I measured my housing's section where the lens protrusion would fit and it is around 5.5mm deep. That means everything would fit flush tight, which would not be preferred since the rear of the wet lens (either the lens or the metal edge) could grind with the port's lens when tightened down and cause some damage to the optics. I could probably lay down some electrical tape on the part where the 67mm thread bottoms out (the part where those screws are in image below) to in order to put some distance between the lens and the port.

490000000_Meikon_Unterwassergehaeuse_fuer_die_Sony_RX-100_MK_II_1_720x600.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom