Inon wide Angle Lens - Type 1 and Type 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan,

I don't get any vignetting underwater, just topside, using the Inon Type 2 WAL without the domepart. I think the difference is refraction underwater. I am considering getting a domeport if that gets rid of the blurred corners.

Anyone out there have a domeport with a D-4000 and Inon Type 2? Will that get rid of the unfocused corners in close focus shots?

BTW, the photos I posted were with my D-3000, not the D-4000, but my very unscientific tests show not much difference between the two cameras using the Inon Type 2 lens.

Oh, and good job finding Waldo! It's a filefish, but I don't know which species.

08.gif

I hope this post resolves the Inon Wide Angle lens issue over the Type 1 and Type 2 lenses and their respective uses on the PT-010

The Inon Wide Angle lens type for the "C Series" Olympus cameras that fit in the PT-010 apparently does matter regardless of the fact they both fit the PT-010 housing without an adaptor. Page 10 of the chart on the Inon website is almost identical to the one on Yuzo's website. I missed the chart at first on the Inon site.

Both charts agree that the C3000, C3030, C4000 and C4100 require the Type 1 lens.

Mark Rupert of Inon America responded to my post on DigitalDiver as follows:

"The chart on page 10 of the manual is supposed to answer your question, but I admit it is confusing and difficult to wade through. I'm thinking of how to improve it.
Yes, lens type depends on camera and housing model. While both Type 1 and Type 2 will physically mount to all the housings, and enable images of good to excellent quality, for optimum sharpness across the frame and minimal vignetting the chart specifies one of the lenses as best. In some cases, either lens can be used, with preference given to one. For other camera/housing configurations there is only one practical choice.
I have another chart at the office that might simplify this. When I get back there on Tuesday I'll send it out."

Ryan from Underwater Camera Pro's
posted this on Digitaldiver.net re this same thread:

"My understanding, most of which comes from memory.
A Type 1 Lens WILL NOT mount to the PT-010, which aslo requires the PT Adapter.
A Type 2 will mount. Due to the wider native lens, the lens MAY vignette slighlty at full wide. Haven't tested this with a PT-010/Type 2 to know if it is significant, but it is with the Tetra. Chuck is your best opinion there.
I think the conclusion from the chart that the Type 2 lens is "unusable" is quite strong, if not incorrect. The lens is very usuable, while possibly not as sharp as a Type 1/PT Adapter.
The lens itself is identical, the only difference being the thread mount on the back".

10.gif

Looks like this is still a somewhat undecided issue and still needs some digging.

So what's the verdict on the INON WAL for a C5050Z with a PT-015? I can't confess to fully understand the differences between type 1 and 2, but it appears that type 1 is the way to go??

INON UWL-100 lens, its difference between type1 and type2, is only the thickness of base screw ring. type2 has 8.5mm thickness, and type 1 has 5.5mm thickness.
So if you use type 1 lens then it will be placed at more closer to the port grass. but without INON adapter ring, it will not be placed the proper position.
And OLYMPUS C series camera, they have some different lens construction by each model. Ex, C-4100, it widest focul length is about 32mm , but C-4040 is 35mm. So for some cameras, INON recommend to use type1, but for some there are no vignetting with type2.
INON UWL-100 was designed for C-3030 and PT-005 with INON adapter ring, and later type2 was released for some other housing which has 67mm thread.
And you can change the base screw ring by yourself, so it is possible to change from type1 to type2 or the contrary.

Yuzo

Thanks for the info guys.

Yuzo - I may be contacting you shortly.

Warren

Back
Top Bottom