Input on pictures (newbie photographer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been shooting around with point and shoot cameras while diving for years and I am finally breaking down and really getting into it. I just recently came back on a liveaboard trip to the Bahamas and a charter trip doing some wreck diving in Florida. These are the first two batches of pictures I have ever taken with these. I would like as much input that can be given to improve my photos. I am using a Sony Cybershot 4.1mp camera with a Sealife Digital Strobe.

Insights, inspirations and smart *** remarks are welcome

BlackbeardsSharkdive012.jpg

Blackbeards4021.jpg

EmpireMicaAugust2005050.jpg

EmpireMicaAugust2005108.jpg

EmpireMicaAugust2005089.jpg

Blackbeards078.jpg

Blackbeards4043.jpg

Looking at your better shots (IMO eel , grouper , lobster), they all have one thing in common .
Eyes !
Eyes really make a picture more interesting .
The diver and shark photos would have been much better if you could have waited to get the eyes in the shots .
Keep up the good work !

Looking like a good start already! A couple of things pop out at me, in no particular order:

- in some shots your focus is soft. This looks to be like you are inside the range of the lens (the purple coral head & maybe the head of the eel)) or the camera has locked on to something other than the subject's eye (the cod & maybe the eel).

- looks like the strobe needs to be adjusted a little bit. In some shots you are getting lots of light in front of the subject but then it falls off without lighting the whole subject properly (cod, the lobster & the ship part above him; again, perhaps the eel too as he doesn't seem to have been lit). On the sea star, the light is only catching the edge of the star. Strobes can be tricky to get right - one reason why shooting digital is great...take the shot, review the shot, adjust the strobe; usuallly it's just a tiny movement.

- for wide, far shots (like the bottom wreck), I'd be tempted to turn off the strobe and go for a monochrome shot. It will eliminate any backscatter and give you a great place to start to go black and white. If there was a fabulous element in the foreground, I'd light that with the strobe and have the light fall off the rest of the subject...but I'd shoot it both ways!

The shark is gorgeous. I love the crispness of his fins and the view from underneath. The diver shot is nice too - I'd probably crop to vertical. When you're under, try flipping the camera vertical, too. There are a ton of subjects that suit a vertical format and sometimes it can make a ho hum shot really special!

I hope that helps. After all that, I think you are doing great and that the more you dive, the better your shots will get!

alcina:
Looking like a good start already! A couple of things pop out at me, in no particular order:

- in some shots your focus is soft. This looks to be like you are inside the range of the lens (the purple coral head & maybe the head of the eel)) or the camera has locked on to something other than the subject's eye (the cod & maybe the eel).

- looks like the strobe needs to be adjusted a little bit. In some shots you are getting lots of light in front of the subject but then it falls off without lighting the whole subject properly (cod, the lobster & the ship part above him; again, perhaps the eel too as he doesn't seem to have been lit). On the sea star, the light is only catching the edge of the star. Strobes can be tricky to get right - one reason why shooting digital is great...take the shot, review the shot, adjust the strobe; usuallly it's just a tiny movement.

- for wide, far shots (like the bottom wreck), I'd be tempted to turn off the strobe and go for a monochrome shot. It will eliminate any backscatter and give you a great place to start to go black and white. If there was a fabulous element in the foreground, I'd light that with the strobe and have the light fall off the rest of the subject...but I'd shoot it both ways!

The shark is gorgeous. I love the crispness of his fins and the view from underneath. The diver shot is nice too - I'd probably crop to vertical. When you're under, try flipping the camera vertical, too. There are a ton of subjects that suit a vertical format and sometimes it can make a ho hum shot really special!

I hope that helps. After all that, I think you are doing great and that the more you dive, the better your shots will get!

Thanks for the input. Yeah the strobe is starting to drive me frickin' nuts. I can't get it to position right no matter where I put it. I think I need to get another strobe on the right or a longer arm. I am going to try to play it around with it osme more. Thanks for the compliment on the shark.

I checked out your website and all of your shots are absolutely amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom