Insel Air is in trouble again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, as Ive been following it, they never got out of trouble. It's been going on for years and just getting worse.

No surprise. When I visited the A-B-C islands each flight had significant issues

Local Curacao paper today--You know the Insel logo--Insel Airlines, Flying Higher....seen in the newspaper, Inert Airlines, Flying Nowhere. Seems to accurately reflect reality!

Good news though. Divi-Divi is adding 2 twin otters (19 seats vs their Islander planes - 8 seats). Divi has been the preferred airline for locals as they fly on time and are frendly. Mid week flights as well as weekend.

Why anyone would choose to fly insel unless they absolutely had to is beyond me. Just returned from curacao. When taxiing on the runaway I saw an old fleet of planes that were in various stages of disrepair and canalization. I thought at first that maybe it was an old Cur airline graveyard that is now longer in business. It turns out they are Insel Jets being used up apparently to keep others going. Also inside the terminal on the board every insel flight had changed times, most significantly later but some significantly earlier. Apparently, insel changes the times all the time and you need to constantly check to see the current status of the flight. We visited with friends who said recently a fried of theirs was at the airport 3 hours early for his scheduled flight only to be told it just left. There are better ways to plan a dive trip than planning one that includes an insel flight.

Good grief! They were abysmal 20 years ago..... Can't fathom how they are still going on.

Good grief! They were abysmal 20 years ago..... Can't fathom how they are still going on.
?? I thought they started operations in 2006. Maybe you are thinking of one of the other defunct airlines, like ALM (1964-2001) or DAE (2003-2013)? [Dates are approximate!]

hmmmm..... I'd swear that was the carrier, but alas, it has been a long time and my memory isn't perfect.... Getting from Curacao to Bonaire was a flipping nightmare! Even with tickets and advance reservations.... Could have been ALM...

Back
Top Bottom