Unknown Large party of divers in trouble, one dies at Cirkewwa, Malta

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Telvar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just saw this article on Dutch news and it raised more questions than that it answered so I looked it up:

Apparently, a group of divers got into trouble due to quickly worsening weatherconditions. Four divers got to shore by themselves, but one of them (a Dutchman) died later. The others were saved by the authorities.

I dove there last year. Several sites in one place and one of the most popular divesites on the island.

My condoleances to family and loved ones.

Considering Malta's past history with dive accidents, I wonder if there will be some sort of criminal charges against a scapegoat with associated court preceedings.

On that fateful day, the wind was coming from the south, making this northern tip of Malta the best choice for a dive.

While all dive centers keep a close look at weather forecasts, Mother Nature did not and decided to change wind directions at the dive site 2 hours ahead of the forecast.

One of my colleagues exited the water around 12:30, around the time that the wind was changing direction and becoming increasingly stronger. Waves were already pounding the dive site exits. Half an hour later, a yellow weather alert was issued by the authorities. 5 minutes later, the first rescue call came in.
Some of divers that were taken out of the water by boats, entered the water after 12:30. And that decision was questionable.

The saddest part of the story is that the wife of the deceased diver witnessed the ordeal from shore. The diver was smashed into the rocks by the waves, rendering him unresponsive and not breathing. Rescue attempts started in-water but were eventually unsuccessful.

Considering Malta's past history with dive accidents, I wonder if there will be some sort of criminal charges against a scapegoat with associated court preceedings.
It is very easy to bring up the Maltese dive-related court events. Yes, there have been court rulings which were later overturned.
Compare that to the Montana accident, where a dive instructor got away with much more questionable behaviour. Justice was never served.

While all dive centers keep a close look at weather forecasts, Mother Nature did not and decided to change wind directions at the dive site 2 hours ahead of the forecast.
I don't mean to sound harsh or pass judgement here, but is it actually common practice to trust the weather forecast down to timing within a couple of hours in this business?

From my limited knowledge coming from a background of recreational boating and sailing, I have learned that the least accurate part of weather forecasts is precise timing, along with the trajectory and severity of some weather systems.

Personally, if I knew inclement weather was incoming in a general area I would take precaution anywhere close to that area with a margin of at least 6 hours, possibly more, and I would never trust changing wind conditions to be as forecasted.

I don't mean to sound harsh or pass judgement here, but is it actually common practice to trust the weather forecast down to timing within a couple of hours in this business?
No it's not. And as you have likely read in the paragraph following my quoted text, you can read that I think the decision to dive was questionable. So your question was already answered.

No it's not.
Good to hear, and what I hoped/expected.

And as you have likely read in the paragraph following my quoted text, you can read that I think the decision to dive was questionable. So your question was already answered.
I really meant no offence with my post. It was an honest question, it was not a dig or trying to imply anything. It wasn't clear to me reading your post what the timeline was and what decisions were made with what information - only that the group of divers entering the water last shouldn't have. I have no knowledge about the typical weather patterns and conditions for diving in Malta. And I don't know what was forecasted in this case. So I'm only asking to learn about what is common practice.

I, perhaps mistakenly, understood from your post that the change of wind direction was forecasted but appeared earlier than forecasted. I don't know if the severity of the weather was also very different from the forecast or not? Would you also consider the first group's decision to dive questionable?

... It wasn't clear to me reading your post what the timeline was and what decisions were made with what information - only that the group of divers entering the water last shouldn't have. I have no knowledge about the typical weather patterns and conditions for diving in Malta. And I don't know what was forecasted in this case. So I'm only asking to learn about what is common practice.
Diving conditions around Malta are benign in general, the water is calm, clear and warm. There's hardly any noticeable tidal difference.
Currents however, are unpredictable. I've been surprised several times, which is one the reasons why I always have an AIS beacon with me. Seagrass, which is abundant around the islands, is a good indicator for current direction and strength.

Dive planning is based on wind forecasts, e.g. if the wind comes from the north, dive sites south of the island are chosen. The actual conditions are assessed when you arrive at the dive site. That's not any different from elsewhere in the world.

I, perhaps mistakenly, understood from your post that the change of wind direction was forecasted but appeared earlier than forecasted. I don't know if the severity of the weather was also very different from the forecast or not? Would you also consider the first group's decision to dive questionable?
A change in wind direction was forecasted for the afternoon, but the severity of the actual change was not. That morning, at 10.30am, the forecast was south-southwest at force five, veering southwest at force six.
But, wind direction changed to west, speed changed from force 6 to force 9 within 15 minutes, so the severity was indeed very different. When you're below the surface during that rapid weather change, you probably won't even notice.

Diving wasn't the danger that day, getting back to shore was the dangerous part. In such rapidly changing conditions, the better choice is to keep your group together on the surface, away from the rocks. In my own experience, holiday divers mostly don't have the experience nor stamina to handle worsening conditions. Getting out in surf with an extra 25kg of dive gear is not easy.
Being picked up by a boat might not be the coolest story but at least you get to sleep in your own bed.

Diving conditions around Malta are benign in general, the water is calm, clear and warm. There's hardly any noticeable tidal difference.
Currents however, are unpredictable. I've been surprised several times, which is one the reasons why I always have an AIS beacon with me. Seagrass, which is abundant around the islands, is a good indicator for current direction and strength.

Dive planning is based on wind forecasts, e.g. if the wind comes from the north, dive sites south of the island are chosen. The actual conditions are assessed when you arrive at the dive site. That's not any different from elsewhere in the world.

A change in wind direction was forecasted for the afternoon, but the severity of the actual change was not. That morning, at 10.30am, the forecast was south-southwest at force five, veering southwest at force six.
But, wind direction changed to west, speed changed from force 6 to force 9 within 15 minutes, so the severity was indeed very different. When you're below the surface during that rapid weather change, you probably won't even notice.

Diving wasn't the danger that day, getting back to shore was the dangerous part. In such rapidly changing conditions, the better choice is to keep your group together on the surface, away from the rocks. In my own experience, holiday divers mostly don't have the experience nor stamina to handle worsening conditions. Getting out in surf with an extra 25kg of dive gear is not easy.
Being picked up by a boat might not be the coolest story but at least you get to sleep in your own bed.
Thank you for the details and advice, I will keep it in mind if I go to Malta (which I hope to do at some point). Force 5/6 to 9 is a drastic increase, I would definitely not like to approach a rocky shoreline in those conditions. I would even be wary of diving in force 6 depending on how exposed it is and the local weather patterns, but I do know in some places there are some regular and quite benign force 5/6 winds almost on a daily schedule. But force 9 is a whole other beast. It's a good reminder that the shoreline can be more treacherous than being out in deeper water (much like in sailing), and not to rush to get out of the water. Sad to hear about the casualty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom