Inserting Thumbnails in threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone tell me how I can insert a simple thumbnail with a bit of text into a post?

Thanks

SS

Charlie, I may have not explained myself properly...

I know how to load attachments, but I want a thumbnail to post and stay in the post just like this text (not a link to the attachment)

You know how people get the Coke Cans thumbnail for the "Coke Alerts"....

Is it the same process and I'm just dumb?

SS

It has to be one of these files to Upload: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png ppt psd txt xls zip

ScubaScott:

I know how to load attachments, but I want a thumbnail to post and stay in the post just like this text (not a link to the attachment)

SS

Not all threads and sections allow pictures/images to be posted into the thread. Look for the
insertimage.gif
icon in the editor to post. Or use the HTML code of
to insert images. If that icon is not there then the only thing you can do is link to the image or attach it.

ScubaScott:

SS
Easiest way is to upload it into your photo gallery. Towards the bottom of the page is some text and a little "copy to clipboard" button with the {img] URL[/img] code. Be careful to pick a reasonable pixel size photo. If large, it will automatically expand the screen
1596whale1.JPG

like this.

Tamas:
Not all threads and sections allow pictures/images to be posted into the thread. Look for the
insertimage.gif
icon in the editor to post. Or use the HTML code of to insert images. If that icon is not there then the only thing you can do is link to the image or attach it.
It actually can be anywhere on the web.... like this one :D
lg_cocacola_can.jpg

Snowbear:
It actually can be anywhere on the web.... like this one :D
Such "embedded" images will be viable, I think, as long as the source image doesn't change. I use Photobucket.com for my non-diving for my non-diving pics I want to may want to use with IMG codes here, as I control the source - subject to the site not failing again and me not erasing pictures by mistakes again. :blink:

Another problem is sizing, as I believe I read somewhere on SB that embedded images need to be limited to 200 Kb, else the pic will blow the frame away like the 417275 pic of the whale did above. I think the coke can above is 269506 Kb, but it's tall rather than wide, so didn't hurt anything - other than the patience of dial-up users who may want to view the pic. Sizing can be done with any of many photo programs, and - it's a weird process to me at best. :15a:

Scot asked, however...
Can someone tell me how I can insert a simple thumbnail with a bit of text into a post?
and I wonder if he wants to embed or attach a thumbnail - with is done with Manage Attachments here, then Browse and Load, but the file has to be in bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png ppt psd txt xls or zip to be loaded that way.

Scott, if you want to actually load "insert a simple thumbnail with a bit of text," the only way this farm boy would know to do it - maybe - would to scan the document to get it loaded in your computer with the file code then Manage, Browse, and Load thumbnail as done in post #2 above. I am curious how he loaded that text which seems to be a JPEG file. I will be watching this thread to learn more.

DandyDon:
else the pic will blow the frame away like the 417275 pic of the whale did above.
Scott, if you want to actually load "insert a simple thumbnail with a bit of text," the only way this farm boy
would know to do it - maybe - would to scan the document to get it loaded in your computer with the file code
then Manage, Browse, and Load thumbnail as done in post #2 above. I am curious how he loaded that text
which seems to be a JPEG file. I will be watching this thread to learn more.
I looked at the URLs of the photos in the gallery and realized that I could reference a more reasonable size 800x600 pixel photo by inserting "medium/" at the right spot in the URL provide by the "paste to clipboard" button.

It's the pixel width, not the size, that blows the frame away.

I did the text jpg's with 30 seconds of work with PhotoShop Elements. GIF would actually have been a better format for line art sort of stuff, but jpg is better for the more normal photo.

Charlie99:
I looked at the URLs of the photos in the gallery and realized that I could reference a more reasonable size 800x600 pixel photo by inserting "medium/" at the right spot in the URL provide by the "paste to clipboard" button.

It's the pixel width, not the size, that blows the frame away.

I did the text jpg's with 30 seconds of work with PhotoShop Elements. GIF would actually have been a better format for line art sort of stuff, but jpg is better for the more normal photo.
Cool, works well - and I need to spend more time with Elements

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom