Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm actually really curious about the data mask. Aside from the chest thumping on this thread.... does it work?

Personally I can't imagine that it does. My eyes are old and I can't see my own hands without bifocals.

R..

I only have about 8 dives on it. So far, I love it. In my opinion it is one of the greatest advances for scuba diving to come along in a very long time. I cannot imagine diving without it.

Here is a couple of things I have noticed:

1. You need to shield the mask from the sun while trying to read it out of the water. Once you hit the water no problem. It is bright as day. As a matter of fact, you may want to turn the brightness down when you hit 60 or deeper (easily done).
2. It is a tiny bit heavy out of the water and slightly unbalanced almost unnoticeable. Again, once in the water you won't notice it at all.
3. It takes a bit of getting used to as far as your scan goes. I am so used to looking at my wrist or my console that I sometimes forget to just look straight ahead. When diving you can look past the data and not even see it.
4. The alarms (I keep them turned off) are fairly loud. I have been told even wearing a hood you can hear them.
5. When filling out your log book, you look kind of goofy always putting your mask up to your face to read the dive log.

Here is a review from you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8Cta5ha2I&NR=1

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 12:26 PM ----------

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 12:36 PM ----------

It is an option, but my problem is I've never had a purge valve on a mask or a snorkel that did not leak, at least a little bit. And I do have a mustache, that does not leak.

To each his own....but I think the tension here is coming from the fact that MOST people with purge valves have simply not learned how to dive without one, so it is not a choice, it is a necessity. I'm fine with someone who knowingly accepts the trade-offs and chooses purge for good reasons. Same with other gear choices. Well, maybe not split fins! LOL.

That's funny. I have never had a purge valve leak; although, I am fairly anal about maintaining my equipment.

There you go again making erroneous claims. Have you actually asked "most people" with purge valves. No, of course not. It's your opinion that people that use purge valves, don't know how to clear their masks. It's my opinion that they do and just prefer a purge valve. I don't think you can get certified without learning the old school clearing method ,can you?

I knew it, I knew it. You're a paddle guy aren't you. :)

I'm sorry if this feels insulting but after 30 years it's time to learn how to clear a mask.

You REALLY don't need a purge valve. What you need is an hour in the pool with an instructor. I know this is going to bite hard but I'm only saying what everyone else here is thinking.

R..

You're right on two counts: You don't need a purge valve and your pompous post is insulting. The date on my c-card is 1975. I learned to dive without a purge valve. I don't need a purge valve, but I prefer a purge valve because it keeps my hands free. In the same way, my first car had a stick shift. I don't need an automatic transmission, but it sure is a lot easier.

Fair enough. I apologize. Upon reading it again, it does sound pompous.

R..

Reactions: RJP
Fair enough. I apologize. Upon reading it again, it does sound pompous.

R..

It takes a real man to admit that. You are back on my good list again.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2015 at 07:58 PM ----------

You're right on two counts: You don't need a purge valve and your pompous post is insulting. The date on my c-card is 1975. I learned to dive without a purge valve. I don't need a purge valve, but I prefer a purge valve because it keeps my hands free. In the same way, my first car had a stick shift. I don't need an automatic transmission, but it sure is a lot easier.

Let's not forget automatic windows.

Found one that isn't just a disk with a rubber spike to stab yourself in the node with: Finis Snorkel Replacement Purge Valve at SwimOutlet.com. It's supposed to be for a snorkel but it looks like what you had in your youtube link.

I may actually give this a try on one of my spare masks. I'm perfectly capable of clearing a mask without one but I have enough problems with my nose that a purge valve could be nice. If I were doing tech diving, i don't know if I'd want the extra failure point but I'd also be carrying a spare mask on my dives, so a failure would be less of a problem anyway.

Let's not forget automatic windows.

My pickup has crank windows. The automatic ones always break when the window is open and its about to rain.

Found one that isn't just a disk with a rubber spike to stab yourself in the node with: Finis Snorkel Replacement Purge Valve at SwimOutlet.com. It's supposed to be for a snorkel but it looks like what you had in your youtube link.

I may actually give this a try on one of my spare masks. I'm perfectly capable of clearing a mask without one but I have enough problems with my nose that a purge valve could be nice. If I were doing tech diving, i don't know if I'd want the extra failure point but I'd also be carrying a spare mask on my dives, so a failure would be less of a problem anyway.

That's about where I am at. I went through my dive closet yesterday and came up with six masks. Holly cow, I had no idea I had so many old masks. The clear silicone ones are all yellow. Other than that, they are all in pretty good shape because they were in mask boxes. Only two of them are sans purge valve. So I will try punching holes in those first. The others were the sort of purge valve with a plastic cover over it and I was not able to get them out. Two of them had a crack in the top of the plastic frame. I never saw it until I took it apart. What would cause a mask to crack? Both were in the same place right on the nose bridge.

I don't do tech; but, I get your point about adding another failure point. It makes sense. I have an Oceanic full face mask and if the reg in the mask quits your mask is basically toast. You are supposed to carry an extra mask just for that scenario.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 05:35 PM ----------

If you do try it before me, please let me know how it went.

Now, I remember that mask. I tried one. It really was a piece of junk. The plastic vents covering the purge valve are very small pieces and break very easily. The purge valve is installed in the wrong spot. It should have been in the bottom of the mask instead of on the front. I thought all around it was a poor design. The proper place to install a purge valve is on the bottom of the nose piece.

View attachment 214283

I bought a Tri-vent back in 91 when I was certified and it still performs perfectly to this day. Of course your experience could have easily been different but I have loved mine.

I bought a Tri-vent back in 91 when I was certified and it still performs perfectly to this day. Of course your experience could have easily been different but I have loved mine.

I wish I could get a ScubaPro tri-vent mask to fit my face. I use the IST tri-view imperial mask. I recently found a place that sells it for $30 no tax with a very nice mask box and free shipping. This is what the mask looks like from Amazon:
Amazon.com : IST Imperial Tri-View Purged Mask (Black Silicone) : Diving Masks : Sports & Outdoors

Most of my old masks are 15 plus years old. Some have a few cracks in the frame, most are yellowing and the skirt is "furling" like a flag. All the purge valves work very well. I have one that I found some mold/mildew right on the silicone flapper. Not a lot just a little. I probably didn't get it dry enough before I stored it. The older I become, the more fastidious I become with my gear. I have been know to use distilled water on masks, regs and computers. It works for me. I still have a pair of Rocket Fins from the 60's that are fully functional. I have been asked to not use them on a boat because the rubber marks the deck.

Scubapro made two sizes of the Tri-vent. The smaller size doesn't fit my face very well but the larger one does nicely. A few years ago I was looking on ebay and found one of the larger ones that looked brand new. The guy only had a few pool dives with it. I won it but had to pay as much for it as when they were new which was a little over $100 I think.

Of course the only reason I use them is because I'm too scared to learn to clear a low volume mask. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom