instead of an H-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler:
instead of an H-valve, how about this? Anyone seen one?Do they have a double diop tube?
www.divecochran.com/beuchat/accessories/valves/index.htm

My 15L tank has a valve like this. It's a Y valve. You can close down the posts independently like doubles making the neck o-ring the weakest link instead of the regulator (hence their popularity where the water is really cold). I find it a little easier to get at than an H valve when I'm wearing my drysuit.

You can get them for 232 and 300 bar tanks.

R..

but you still do not have a redundant air supply
as Diver0001 has stated
what if the o ring that holds h, or y. valve to tank fails
shutting of one reg will do nothing to solve problem

rjchandler:
instead of an H-valve, how about this? Anyone seen one?Do they have a double diop tube?
www.divecochran.com/beuchat/accessories/valves/index.htm

I have never seen a dip tube plug but I have seen a tank neck o ring blow a couple of times. Both times happened right after filling. There is a loud pop then a louder hissing noise as all the air escapes. Having 2 seperate regs won't help you there.

How about we start using this valve, but with a 1/2 inch tapered thread on the tank rather than the current 3/4 inch, and teflon tape:wink: That way, we could really go back to the ol' days, and have total redundancy. Anyone seen some old 20-man life raft bottles I could re-thread (like we used to do).

SeaRat

PS--I have never seen a tank O-ring rupture (the one at the neck of the valve) while the tank was in the water (or on land for that matter). Anyone else seen this?

PS--I have never seen a tank O-ring rupture (the one at the neck of the valve) while the tank was in the water (or on land for that matter). Anyone else seen this?[/QUOTE]

Hi sea rat
I have seen 6 tank o-rings go under water.
I have also see a tank that was bubbling through the metal about 3 inches below the valve. Yes I aborted the dive and failed the tank, on the spot.
I think the main reason you have not seen a o-ring blow is because they were changed when they were noticed that they were starting to fail, while the tank was being filled by your local dive shop.
However the o-rings seems to blow at a lower tank presures
and only bubbles at higher pressure.
I have also had tank o-rings blow while I was filling them.
Also have had a few burst disks blow while I was filling them.
The burst disks failed well below the working presure of the valve.
Nothing lasts forever.
It is now a matter of IF they will fail but WHEN.
Same as the high pressure seat in your first stage
Hopes this helps

A couple years ago, I called a Beuchat dealer and they quoted me $179 per valve... I bought my Thermo Pro H-valves for $50 each from Andy @ Aquatic Discount Scuba. Unless they are worth 3 times the price of a standard h-valve - or you get get them dirt cheap - they're not worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom