Instead of Diving now I'm....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh, I am so sorry this has happened to you. Take good care of yourself. Sue

Did someone say Major Bummer already...?
Wouldn't head over there today or tomorrow... I have a couple friends staying south of Playa and they are having a bad storm. Last night washed a couple pangas way up onto the beach, beach bar/restaurant had tables broken, power out all night and most of the morning. Seas are very rough and the forecast is for more of the same.

If it's better on Cozumel, stay there.
The storm formerly known as Alma in the Pacific, now Arthur.
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Did you see Piccolo or Gomez? (Piccolo is excellent) Think about getting checked out again before the flight home... hate to state the obvious, but it's not going to be the most enjoyable airplane experience you've ever had... after I blew out a sinus, I was glad to have the meds for the plane ride. Still not too comfortable but it was tolerable.

Try and enjoy the rest of your trip.
I'd want some heavy sedatives, or maybe a delay. Did you consult DAN; this would be a dive injury would it not...?
> $250,000 (per occurrence) coverage for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries;
> $5,000 (maximum lifetime benefit) coverage for injured person's losses incurred for trip interruptions after departure.
> if you're involved in a covered diving accident, DAN insurance will pay up to an additional $3,000 accommodations, $2,000 airline ticket
> Plus up to $100,000 DAN TravelAssist benefits*

Do you have Trip Insurance?

:( I blew out my ear drum Wednesday while descending on Maraciabo. What a weird sensation it was. :D

As a first person observer I will say you handled it much better than I would have in holding it together. See you manana.

Jeff

Does it sound/feel like a little water is sloshing around in your ear canal on that side of your head?

Let it heal my friend.

I don't know anything, but I've seen a reverse blow-out and a regular pressure blow-in...and I've had a pin-hole one in my left ear. A good friend of mine had a good blow-out in a quarry from a previous ear drum thing.

Them were cute little bubbles coming out of his ear. :11:

And there is this story about the time my Instructor had a blow-out in Coz. and he was down there with a Medic..when they got back to the hotel room the Medic poured peroxide in his ear.

Instructor said he crawled up the wall to the ceiling.

And then there was the time I signaled ear problems to the DM...He grabbed my fin and pulled me down a few feet. It worked though, ear cleared. Don't try that, I think that may be when I got my pin-hole rupture.

Let it heal and don't push it.

Since you can't dive right now...cervezas and margaritas. And you have a story to tell. :D

Last edited:
.....by the way, how long does it take to fully recover from this sort of accident ? ...and after recovery, are there any special limitations on one's diving going forward ?

Karl

I'd want some heavy sedatives, or maybe a delay. Did you consult DAN; this would be a dive injury would it not...?
> $250,000 (per occurrence) coverage for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries;
> $5,000 (maximum lifetime benefit) coverage for injured person's losses incurred for trip interruptions after departure.
> if you're involved in a covered diving accident, DAN insurance will pay up to an additional $3,000 accommodations, $2,000 airline ticket
> Plus up to $100,000 DAN TravelAssist benefits*

Do you have Trip Insurance?
When I had a dive injury in Cozumel and went to Dr Piccolo, there was no need to contact DAN or make any claim on my DAN insurance... an office visit, a couple prescriptions and a follow-up was a total cost of $50. Not every situation warrants the full-on press into insurance land or a call to DAN. And, your DAN insurance won't even kick in until your primary health insurance has paid out whatever it will cover.

Dr Gomez is the "official" DAN doctor in Cozumel. Dr Piccolo is the doctor of choice for many dive professionals on the island, he runs chambers in Cozumel and Playa. I believe there are one or two other dive docs on the island as well. In a destination like Cozumel where there is good dive medical care readily available, it makes more sense to get yourself to the doctor ASAP, get assessed by in-person and start whatever treatment may be required rather then delaying with a call to DAN for someone over the phone to make an educated guess and then tell you to go to the doctor right away anyway. .

When I had a dive injury in Cozumel and went to Dr Piccolo, there was no need to contact DAN or make any claim on my DAN insurance... an office visit, a couple prescriptions and a follow-up was a total cost of $50. Not every situation warrants the full-on press into insurance land or a call to DAN. And, your DAN insurance won't even kick in until your primary health insurance has paid out whatever it will cover.
That's nice. Since he pays the premiums and the benefits are there, I thot he might like to file a claim on the trip interruption.

Sorry to hear this (no pun) -- I have been there and done that.

In Cabo for a shorty vacation for four days -- blew my right ear drum (Tympanic membrane) on the FIRST dive of the trip. Vertigo sets in once one ear experiences a temperature difference different than that of the other. When it happened to me, in about 40 feet of water, instant vertigo where I really didnt know which way was up. Thankfully, I didnt panic too badly and remembered to breath, stay put, gather my whereabouts then move on. Luckily it was only a few minutes until the safety stop, toughed it out as I really was afraid to end everyones dive early.

Doctor prescribed a few meds, one to dry up the ear, the other an antibiotic. Took about three weeks to completely heal. Followed up with my Dr at home.

Plane ride home was a little painful -- Vicodin helped.

Again, sorry to hear this as I have been there.

.....by the way, how long does it take to fully recover from this sort of accident ? ...and after recovery, are there any special limitations on one's diving going forward ?

Karl

Don't know about diving related ear drum ruptures, but I ruptured an eardrum when I was around 12, and my daughter also ruptured one when she was 10-ish. Neither of us had any trouble (or restrictions) diving. As to time for recovery before diving, can't speak to that. I didn't start diving until 35+ years later. My daughter didn't start diving until ~ 5 years after her rupture. I'm pretty sure you don't have to wait that long :D

The time for an injury like this varies a lot. I had a very bad eardrum rupture from landing in the water wrong from a rope swing; it took several months to heal. Pinhole ruptures seal up a lot more quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom