Instruction question: to spin or not to spin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My solution to that is using a mask with duct tape over it, thereby making it a blacked out mask. The student cannot see through the duct tape on the mask.

All lights are left on so the student can be watched carefully. The duct tape has a "tab" on it so the student can peel it off quickly should s/he feel compelled to see immediately. I have yet to have a student feel the need to remove the blackout tape.

I learned this from Jim Wyatt.

My blacked out mask currently has "Use the Force, Luke," written in Sharpie on the duct tape to give observers a chuckle.

siltouts happen. to everyone.
didn't want to offend anyone lol
we kid because we love.

Quit messing up the cave! jk

Hey! I don't touch the cave the cave touches me! I don't know what you're talking about! :)

Babyduck hit the nail on the head, that was exactly the point.

I have a news flash for you - you can pull and push people by their tanks and wings to move them and spin them, but if their SA is good they can still still tell the direction from which the pulls and pushes are coming from, so the original point still stands.

It's all in positioning. I position myself above my students and swim them to the location where I want them to start the drill. Not a whole lot of pushes and pulls and it only lasts about 10 seconds. I don't move them very far. And like I stated earlier, I don't spin.

I had the duct taped mask and added the tabs after interning with Jim Wyatt. It's a great idea! And like him, I haven't had a student pull the tape off either.

well you expose another point just because you complete a drill one way one time and move on is a problem in its self i say do the drill both way one gives practical experience and the other builds confdence so as we say shut up( not being rude) and dive and do it till you can do it blind and backwards just the way i see it

well you expose another point just because you complete a drill one way one time and move on is a problem in its self i say do the drill both way one gives practical experience and the other builds confdence so as we say shut up( not being rude) and dive and do it till you can do it blind and backwards just the way i see it

What are you talking about???

I think he's saying the student should do the drill both ways. But it's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure we are to shut up and dive, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom