Instructions for Repacking Filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mobil Jet II then :D That sounds much better than medicinal grade mineral oil like the manual says :wink: Right now it has Chemlube 201 in it.

Does everyone who has a scuba compressor send an air sample off somewhere to get it tested? How is this done? In a pony bottle or something? I can't imagine that there are many delivery companies that would willingly ship a high pressure tank that was not empty.

Any suggestions on where to buy filter materials and oil?

Thanks.

PS: Is "Quick LInks" here on SB not working for everyone, or is it just me?

Go to any fixed base operator at an airport and you can purchase Mobile Jet II. It is a turbine engine oil that mobile reformulated several years ago for HP compressors.
Global, Lawrence Factor, Dacor, August Industries, and many others sell filter chemicals.
Jim Shelden

For air testing -- order the kit from Lawrence Factor. Google "breathing air quality testing" and take your pick.
Jim Shelden

I have been filling my own tanks for 45 years and have never had air testing done and have never had bad air issues. Service you compressor and filters regularly and monitor the compressor during operation. I use an IR temperature gun to periodically check cylinder head temperatures and crankcase temperature and I time fill times to be sure it is pumping what it should.

I'be been servicing my own equipment for almost that long (about 42 years) and I'm still alive so I'm leaning toward the general routine maintenance approach such as what captain said. The guy I bought it from seemed completely OK and said the compressor was ready to use and had the filter elements and oil changed recently so I filled a tank and used it in a pool. It seemed fine. The only real difference was that there was still almost 2500 psi reading after I got into the water, instead of it dropping down to 2250 or 2300.

The toughest thing here so far is the oil: three people tell me to use three different oils. Each is certain their suggestion is the best.

Filter.jpgFilter Drain.jpgFilter Top Valve.jpgFilter--Top.jpg

Here (hopefully) are some pics of my filter. I hope it's not too late.

Thanks,

James

Frogman 62 is a spert on those compressors, go with his suggestion Mobil Jet ll

Thanks captain. The problem is that all of the suggestions are coming from people who appear very knowledgeable, experienced, and competent. And smart. I am now searching for Mobil Jet II. :)

In a lot of cases one product is exactly the same as another just with a different name.
A lot of specialty equipment companies buy someone else's product and re-labels it.
I started using Anderol 500 in my compressor 40 years ago. At the time I talked to Anderol and they would not say it was OK to use in "MY" compressor even though it was being used in breathing air compressors.
I think the greater issue is the correct viscosity rather than brand.

Meggitt airdynamics . who builds all these compressors for the military today recommends Mobile Jet II.
Jim Shelden

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom