Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smart cows! :) I think this is bit of hyperbole

There are about 1bn (1e9) cows on the planet. Compare that with Norwegians and the cows are more successful by a factor of 200. And they probably pay less for beer. Compared with lions (20k African Lions) there is no contest.

Which is the smart one? :)

By biomass there is more cow on the planet than human.Some people claim that human overpopulation is the problem, but really the people are just there so the cows don't need to be so organised. It's a really neat trick as nobody really needs them. They have managed this best in India where they have a bunch of politicians sorting things out for them.

There are about 1bn (1e9) cows on the planet. Compare that with Norwegians and the cows are more successful by a factor of 200. And they probably pay less for beer. Compared with lions (20k African Lions) there is no contest.

Which is the smart one? :)

By biomass there is more cow on the planet than human.Some people claim that human overpopulation is the problem, but really the people are just there so the cows don't need to be so organised. It's a really neat trick as nobody really needs them. They have managed this best in India where they have a bunch of politicians sorting things out for them.
So you subscribe to the 3 ways of doing things?
- the right way
- the wrong way
- the Norway

If a diver does not watch their air consumption and gets low on air while still within NDL and then shoots up they are within that 41%. If a diver panics while within NDL and shoots up to the surface, they are still in that 41%,

What is of more interest is how many of that 41% also did a slow safe ascent and a safety stop.

Is that getting into the difference between DCS and the broader term DCI that includes lung over-expansion injury?

If a diver does not watch their air consumption and gets low on air while still within NDL and then shoots up they are within that 41%. If a diver panics while within NDL and shoots up to the surface, they are still in that 41%,

What is of more interest is how many of that 41% also did a slow safe ascent and a safety stop.

See Annual Diving Incident Report

11% of all the deco incidents were rapid ascents. Whether you can still be within tables or the compute and have a rapid ascent - i don't think so, but even if we assume that all those were within the 41% then 30% of deco incidents were with appropriate ascents. You can read them all for yourself, plenty are innocuous.

So you subscribe to the 3 ways of doing things?
- the right way
- the wrong way
- the Norway
No, I was only comparing cows to Norwegians as it was one who brought them up and Norway is widely regarded as a very successful place, except by people buying drinks.

Is that getting into the difference between DCS and the broader term DCI that includes lung over-expansion injury?
No. These are almost all bends.

No. These are almost all bends.

I think I see. Being within table or computer limits implies maintaining a certain ascent rate baked into the algorithm.

See Annual Diving Incident Report

11% of all the deco incidents were rapid ascents. Whether you can still be within tables or the compute and have a rapid ascent - i don't think so, but even if we assume that all those were within the 41% then 30% of deco incidents were with appropriate ascents. You can read them all for yourself, plenty are innocuous.
I did not look, but how many are "unexpected", "not serious" hits?

On a LOB trip a lob few years ago a "conservative" diver got type II skin bends after the third day. On our recent trip a few weeks ago several divers revealed that they had also had skin bend episodes. Not chamber rides, just O2 and then hammock rides for the rest of the week. All claimed they were within the NDL limits of recreational diving.

By the end of the third day of a live aboard a diver could easily have done 12 dives (or more) in 3 days many of them to 100 ft. There are a number of cautions around about lots of dives over multiple days.

I did not look, but how many are "unexpected", "not serious" hits?

It doesn't say, at least not for 2017. It does, however, attribute only 11% of DCI incidents to rapid ascents and puts the average age for "serious accidents" and fatalities at 55 and change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom