Instructor to instructor communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's the great thing... the entire board is for students and those in between classes. All of the instructors have made themselves available for all sorts of questions. We will still be here on the board. But if restrictions are decided upon, we will have a "lounge" area where we can "chill" as you put it. :tease:

NetDoc once bubbled...
The reasons that I see to restrict this from the general population are;
As for verification... most agencies will verify an instructor as active or inactive if you provide them with a name and instructor number.
Remember, no decisions have been made on this forum... it's existence or it's security. Speak now or forever hold your keyboard.

How about merely a pro check. We submit our info to a private/secure place providing proof of pro status. Moderators then in turn verify status with various agencies. Finally you get a special avitar or symbol by your name indicating generically - DIVE PRO. If we left out rankings this would satisfy another of your criterion. As for everything else you mentioned - PM. This will avoid eyes only exclusion, in turn this will force us all to think about our advice and communications and make them palatible for the masses.

I really (for now) disagree with the private forum, it's not a positive change for such a well established and open place like scubaboard. However, I'd love to have a little badge indicating "I'm full of crap, PADI made me that way and the moderators crowned me certifiable <LOL> :)"

You could create Pro only distribution lists so we could "chat" if we had to, but it wouldn't be really any different than we have now except bcc when sending out messages.

In fact if there was a way to send PM from an existing thread that automatically included the "pro flagged" members who posted on that thread only it would limit distribution to that list only. Or only "pro flagged" members logged onto the board at that moment.

Anyway lots of ways to go on this one - but my vote is anti-private-forum. Most of us average only 3 posts a day - you wouldn't even "see us around" if we were trapped in private forum oblivion.

MHK bubbled: " I think the idea of allowing all of the academics to be done over the internet or telephone is a horrible idea."

I agree with you Mike, but allowing some home study for a portion of a program shouldn't be a concern.

Prerequisit for my AI candidates are required to meet the academic level of Master Diver. That doesn't mean they have to be certified Master Divers, just pass the MD written exam. I allow then to borrow my Master Diver CD rom. It is a self study programmed course, with quizzes at the end of each lesson. The student has to score 8/10 at the end of each section before he can move on. I do periodic checks with the students and of course I'm available if the CD material needs clarification or additional help is required.

I started using this as part of the study materials for my AI program about 2 yerars ago. The written exam marks are all in the 90's.

It doesn't replace an instructor, but it does aid the student in acessing and increasing his basic knowledge.

MikeD
:blfish:

NetDoc,
You bring up some good points. I guess I'm open. As far as verifying instructor status IANTD lists all active instructors on their web site and anyone can access the information. With PADI their procheck system can only be accessed by members. I don't know about the others.

It might not be a bad idea to identify instructors throughout the board but readers still need to realize the risks of taking advice on the internet. I have seen some wacked out advice by some claiming to be instructors but some instructors give wacked out advice anyway.

I'm not really against it being an open forum since I would like to see students/divers more educated also. If someone wishes to discuss a certain student that can be done through PM's

Mike

Just my opinion (and I only began diving this past summer) but I think that an instructor forum should be open. I can see how there might some things that instructors should not give out or say in public (especially criticisim of students with identifying information), but in generally I feel that the greater good would come from open discussions. Some of my reasoning is based on who would someone new to scuba evaluate the different agencies? Reading instructor comments and thoughtful discussions may help someone make an informed decision and perhaps save their life. Also, students evaluate instructors as well. While I may feel able to ask for my money back if I found the instructor's performance inadequate, someone else may not without first having some insight as to what should be expected.

Overall, I cannot see that much of the posting on the proposed forum would actually require privacy. If an instructor needs to vent about a student either save it for somewhere else or do it in a constructive, non-identifying manner so others can learn from it.

I would definitely support having some form of identifier for diving professionals. It is still I choice as a non-professional diver whether to listen to that person or not, but it would give some indication as to sert level. Perhaps also include an indicator of number of dives, although that could never really be verified.

This is too long of a post for me. Basically, I come here to be exposed to many different ideas and experiences. Some times I ask my instructor questions based on what I find here, which wouldn't happen if I couldn't read it.

Also, instructors may have an impact on training standards, but something tells my that students money will have a bigger impact. As an OW diver I have quite a few more opportunities to spend more money on training and I am much better informed now than when I was looking for my initial training.

S

MikeF & i have been talking about a way for active instructors to communicate with peers for awhile now. I think this thread is a great start.

I Pm'ed NetDoc that any forum started for this purpose should be for instructors or active Dm's only. As i see it, this forum should be place for instructors or assistants, who actively teach scuba, to openly exchange ideas and methods. I don't believe it would be as open of an exchange if anyone was allowed in the discussion.

Please don't take that the wrong way if you not a Dm or instructor. I think feedback from students or non-instructors would ultimately become a major part of any forum we envisioned via sharing the ideas that come from it, with all of you on this board, among others. At least that was part of what i was envisioning when discussing this with MikeF.

IMO, it is simply difficult for a non-instructor to understand some of the challanges we face in each class and therefore not muddy the waters of discussion. The forum would get to any solutions or new ideas quicker without the inevitable explaining of things commonly known to instructors, to those who have only had exposure to the things presented to them in the classes they have taken. Again, non-instructor feedback would become essential once we beat ideas around in a place we can feel relatively safe doing so.

IMO, the discussions will get complicated enough among certified and active instructors/Dm's without adding other experience levels to the mix.

I agree with gedunk. With all due respect to all divers and students this should not be a teaching forum but for discussion among instructors, dm's and those that teach only. There are plenty of catagories for general quastions. Otherwise the forum would become too confused and clogged up.

devilfish once bubbled...
I agree with gedunk. With all due respect to all divers and students this should not be a teaching forum but for discussion among instructors, dm's and those that teach only. There are plenty of catagories for general quastions. Otherwise the forum would become too confused and clogged up.

I'm all for setting up and instructor to instructor list, however I would also note that if any students have some questions I'd be happy to answer them.. To the students that are reading this, I recognize that it may seem exclusionary so I apologize in advance however let me give you one example of why instructors would be reluctant to openly exchange ideas in a forum that may very well have prosepective students on the list..

I'll give away one of my tricks here ;-)

When I have students that are diving double tanks, I'll very often immediatley upon descent, usually done as the student is kicking down I'll sneak up behind him and turn off his isolator valve..

My rationale for that is to monitor whether or not the student is checking his SPG often enough. If 10 minutes into the dive he hasn't checked his isolator then I know that he isn't monitoring his gauges.. Accordingly the skill is about using the law of effect to the instructors advantage, not necessarily just a check on isolator drills. Now given that I've just given up one of my tricks, which I'm sure many other instructors use, if a potential student read that post it's likely he'll spend extra efforts DURING class monitoring his isolator.. My goal isn't to get you to worry about it DURING class, it's to provide a failure in a simulated environment [ a.k.a. class] so the student will take the lesson into diving post class..

I have a million I could share, as I suspect other instructors also have their *tricks* so I hope you understand my thoughts as to why I think instructor to instructor communications are a valueable tool.. FTR, at GUE we have a instructor list in place just for the reasons cited in this thread..

Later

What's Up?

Did we decide to keep this forum for instructors open?

Great!

I have to tell you about a student that showed up to class with stainless steel suicide bolt snaps.

All the disadvantages of marine snaps included in a bolt snap.

I figured it out when I took their primary light and tried to clip it off to my D ring. I couldn't believe it.

Ooops...I forgot...this guy is on scubaboard.

So...Student...How does it feel being talked about on an internet forum?

Would you rather read this stuff or have it kept in a secret place?

Back
Top Bottom