Instructors should take some advanced training as well. Yea or Nay? Does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that. But maybe they are using different terms as I don't see the series of rods that connect the valves to the lever. And how do you rinse inside the bladder? Do you have to remove one of the valves? How does a user service it? Std inflator is easy and fast. Or you just replace it for 25 bucks. And again, what happens when a rescuer tries to inflate it from behind via the oral tube if the lever is fouled or even missing from being broken off or snagged and pulled off. All of these scenarios need to be addressed if you are going to teach it in an OW class in the diver rescue portion. Unless that is not taught in the OW class. Which if you send students out where these may be found in rental or just on other divers, how to assist someone using one needs to be covered.
I want to know as it looks like this is something I'll need to address in my classes and do so without access to one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
The rods or cables are serviced as an assembly....I do not think they are available separately, but its not a service item, its a replace when broken item.

The flushing is done through the alternate inflator on the left shoulder, just deploy it and hold it up against a faucet...pushing it in opens it, so it really is quite simple....its the same when you are using it to inflate the BC, just push it against your lips and blow, it shuts when you release it from your mouth.......another little know tidbit is that you can unscrew the oral inflator assy, and screw on a regular old inflator if you're so inclined...if the i3 were to break you can always go to a regular inflator if your somewhere that only has those....I personally carry an i3 service kit with me, and if needed, I can rebuild it in about 10 minutes

I would be more than happy to meet you one weekend at Dutch if your going to be there , you can check one out in person and even dive it if you want.....they really are not the voo doo many people make them out to be

I have been to Dutch once. The problem is that Dutch is a 6-7 hour drive for me. I can get to all the Ohio quarries in 5 or less. Makes a big difference. The other issue with Dutch is while I get in free my buddies do not and the price is like wow for them. Much of the time we don't pay entry fees to local sites at all. If I lived within a couple hours and were using it to teach I could justify recommending a pass. But as it is more likely a one shot been there done that for my students. And for me it's just too far. A couple more hours and I can be in Ocean City or little more north diving the wrecks off Jersey and NY.

Or a cave instructor that has all (or most) their dives in Ginnie Springs?

Yes indeed, or an instructor who dives the same the same piece of ocean over & over....

Every SoCal Instructor should be volunteering some time on Chamber Ops Crew at least once in their career, or at least earn CEU's here in Emergency Response & Management, learning first responder roles in diver accident chain-of-care together with LA County Baywatch Lifeguard Paramedics and US Coast Guard Rescue.

Home > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

There is no better dive accident training than LA County General Hospital/USC Hyperbaric Chamber in a public non-military facility or institution (and that goes for DAN and the "Dookies" at Duke Medical Center too!).

Yes indeed, or an instructor who dives the same the same piece of ocean over & over....

Exactly. Why go to a scuba instructor who logs most of their dives on the same 20' reef or 60' wreck or the same lakes/quarries?

I would also question any instructor that does not keep him/herself in good physical conditioning and that does not push themselves in that category to be in top physical shape. Would anyone want an instructor that could not swim at least 400 yards in under 7 min? (without fins and without puking)

I think all you instructors should post your best current 1000 meter swim time, open water or pool (long or short course)

Would anyone want an instructor that could not swim at least 400 yards in under 7 min? (without fins and without puking)

Personally, this isn't a problem but I fail to see why it should matter? I care a whole lot more that my instructor has a grasp of physiology, physics and chemistry than whether they can complete a triathlon. I agree that divers in general should be in decent shape to handle the stress of the activity, but it's not a real burner of an aerobic sport...

ALL DM's and Instructors should Re-Cert every 3 Years!

I'll add another line. To retain their professional qualification.

Let me quantify those statements:

Some years ago my profession was Aerospace NDT (Non Destructive Testing) Simply put I look for cracks and structural defects on aircraft. To do this I was certified in 9 disciplines (Most people will recognise X-Ray and Ultrasound) I happened to be rated as a Level 3 in 8 of them, basically this meant I not only carried out the job, wrote inspection procedures as well as teaching the disciplines. Because I worked for an aircraft manufacturer I also carried out R&D on new equipment and techniques, as well as being involved in the writing of national and international standards.

You may say I was very experienced, however this experience did not preclude me from re sitting both the theory and practical exams in each discipline every 3 years (and because I was qualified under both UK and US systems - I had to do both. furthermore begin a level 3 I had to appraised by my peers on my teaching technique etc at the same time.

The basic fundementals of each technique didn't change, you just need to revise the theory and demonstrate you could find defects in a practical.

I submit therefore that being a diving instructor is similar, perhaps more responsible - you teach people how to survive underwater and dive safely. thus shouldn't your teaching skills and diving skills be examined regularly? Shouldn't you be familiarised with the new best practises and new equipment technologies. Even someone doing it weekly can "forget" stuff or loose the edge on their techniques? How many bad driving habits have we all formed since passing our test as a simple example?

Should there not also be a fall back to say if you haven't instructed for xxx period or been an active DM then you should revert to a non practicing status thus you re cert to regain currency?

I have to say I used to find these re-certs a pain in the butt however I never once left a course without learning something either about new kit or techniques but better still from other peoples experiences.

Would you get on an aircraft with your family if you knew the pilots or those inspecting hadn't re certified for a while?

I've have no axe to grind but thought I'd provoke more discussion

Martin

Last edited:
....but I fail to see why it should matter? ...

....to handle the stress of the activity...

See, you answered your own question.

...I care a whole lot more that my instructor has a grasp of physiology, physics and chemistry ...

If your instructor made it past the 6th grade he should be able to handle all the "advanced" science of diving. But maybe my expectations are too high wanting instructors to be fit and having progressed beyond 6th grade.

See, you answered your own question.
It's a pretty low bar of physical fitness...

If your instructor made it past the 6th grade he should be able to handle all the "advanced" science of diving.
And yet, we see daily, that very well credentialed instructors do not understand the concepts they're teaching.

I'd rather require that all instructors have advanced mixed gas training, but I'm sure we all have a wish list for what we would have wanted from the people we've taken courses from along the way.

It's a pretty low bar of physical fitness......

Not actually, I would think an instructor's SAC rate should not climb above a .75 in the most stressful and physically demanding situations. That sure wont happen if the instructor is 30 lbs overweight, drinks and smokes.

...very well credentialed instructors do not understand the concepts they're teaching.....

And that was the joke about "6th grade". The scuba industry is so full of bottom feeding scum that lack even the most basic common sense. What is even scarier is that the "gene pool" gets worse as a diver progresses into more advanced diving. Hell, just on this board I have seen "credentialed" instructors claim they are good on air deep and that you should not train new RB divers on HE. I have met a lot of credentialed" instructors over the years that I would not trust with scissors. It's pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom