Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveaustin

Reaction score
OK. Say you know a instructer received their OW cert just 2 years ago...their DM last year...and now just got their Instructer. Would you refer a friend to them to get certified?

If not, what are they lacking in your opinion.

Can a diver be at the instructer level in just two years?

Please give me your thoughts, both pro and con on this issue.

Thanks,:)

I personnaly plan on becomming a DM within my first year of diving, and instructor as soon after that as I can.

That said, do I feel I would be ready to teach a class on my own. NO. Do I plan to, no. I just want to get to that level, and then start helping other instructors I know, wether it be working as a DM (even though instructor certified) or helping with skill evaluations, etc.

I personnaly feel a person "could" be ready in that time, if over that 2 years they've been diving a LOT. (say 100dives a year for example, just a rough number) If they only did the bare minimum, probably not, but if they were out every time they could diving, they might be ready. Some people are natural instructors, and natural divers, with limited expereince they can demonstrate skills as if they have years of experience. (for example my buoyancy and air consumption are FAR ahead of the typical diver curve of a diver with the same number of dives as me, I've been told so by other divers and instructors as well)

I think even for the naturals they should get some expereience working with others though.

It is possible for him to be ready to teach and teach well. If I get my instructor cert as soon as I hope, the only people I might teach on my own would be friends/family, and no more than 2 people at a time most likely.

It would be interesting to see... it's possible for him to be ready to teach and teach well, but it's equally or more possible for him to not be ready to teach. Unfortunately theres no way to know for 100% certanty without watching him in action, going through a class, or sending someone through a class.

More likely than not, he isn't ready, esspecially if he's done most/all in warm water. Typically speaking thoose who are trained and certified (counting OW-Instructor) in cold water, are better divers (I've heard that from numerous sources) so I'd be even more leary if he did his certs in warm water, or though one of those internship things where they take an OW diver (or no diver at all) and make them an instructor in like 6months (in warm water)

Just my .02 cents... Probably not.

diveaustin said...
OK. Say you know a instructer received their OW cert just 2 years ago...their DM last year...and now just got their Instructer. Would you refer a friend to them to get certified?

It would depend on what I thought of them, not how long they had been certified as an instructor.

IMO, people who already have experience in instructing (eg, teachers, sports coaches) have a big advantage over people who are still getting to grips with that aspect of being an instructor. Being a great instructor isn't just about being a great diver; it's also about being able to pass on those skills.

I would choose a great teacher with lots of experience over a great teacher with not so much experience, but I would choose the great but inexperienced teacher over a poor teacher with lots of experience. Time since certification is not the be-all and end-all.

Zept

diveaustin once bubbled...

It depends on the person. I do beleive that a very skilled and highly motivated person could become a good Instructor in 2 years. This person would have to possess a natural ability in both dive skills and teaching.

I know people who have been Instructors for 20 years that I would not trust to hold my snorkel on shore. I've also known people who have just become Instructors that I would allow to teach my family.

It is certainly possible to become a great Insturctor in 2 years. I've seen it done before...amazing diver and Instructor. Then again, this probably does not describe the average person.

So, it's possible if the person is really dedicated, skilled and commits to practicing a lot. Otherwise, forget it. Unfortunately, most people are just starting to figure out the basics after 2 years. It would take a unique individual to become an Instructor in 2 years. It has been succesfully done though.

Well, this brings up a good point about all the PADI instructor mills out there...

COme one, come all, we can make you an Instructor in two weeks!!! All you need is your Advanced Open water and at least 60 logged dives!!! It will only cost you $3000!!! Lifetime placement guaranteed!!! The only Instructor training facility with three Instructor Trainers and our own custom dive boats!!!

Whoops... I think I went too far, quoting them directly.. Oh well, I dont think anyone knows who I am talkin about...

But yeah, I have a major problem with an Instructor thats goin to teach my best friend, or cousin, or brother, or family member that just got his certification less than two years ago... Especially when you only need 100 dives to be an Instructor... I think they should raise that limit to 200 dives, and you should have to be a DM or Divecon (SSI) for a minimum of a year or helping with a total number of students equalling 50. This trend to go on right from DM to Instructor with little or no experience in the interim is terrifying. No wonder so many people complain about their instructors (really just one reason, but you know what I mean...) I would love to hear what everyone else thinks about this one...

diveaustin once bubbled...

ElectricZombie's post rings true to me but I'd have to see him in action. It's not unthinkable that someone could become a decent instructor in 2 or 3 years (depends entirely on the individual) although my first impulse is to say that he probably lacks experience......

Something else that new instructors can have is a lot of energy. They haven't been doing it long enough for it all to become routine so they may compensate for inexperience by giving their students extra attention.

R..

Though you'll find many here that disagree with my position, and many threads already hashed out those details. I did it. From never having dove in my life to Instructor in 10 months (with 3 months off during the winter). And also my Open Water instructor had only taught one other class before mine and had only taken a little over a year to become an instructor himself. My students love me, and some of them go diving with me on an extra-curricular basis - I always extend the offer. The PADI program makes this possible, of course in my case I had been a teacher for a much longer period of time.

Point I'm making is that this is being done everywhere and I believe successfully. However, without the advantage of being able to interview the former students, and ask questions of, any random instructor you are making a crap shoot. But then again you can get bad instructors that have been teaching for a very long time (another topic debated to exhaustion here on the Scubaboard). Bottom line meet with the instructor and probe about your concerns, it isn't wrong to question the individual in whose arms you are placing your life.

After reading all the responses I think he will at least make a decent instructer. This guy eats and sleeps diving. He also is a professional that deals with people every day. Maybe even a great instructer. I have dove with him numerous times and he has it down...that is the founation. I guess we will have to wait and see how his first class goes.

Thanks for all your input.

Good Times.

Dive Austin et al....

They say there is no substitute for experience, & the Instructor candidate brings many types of life experience to the I.T.C.

Those candidates with years of diving experience have the advantage of past lessons learned, particularly if they have been involved in diving leadership for some time, allowing them to bring more "real world" anecdotes & advice to the classroom. This is, in my opinion, a real asset to the novice diver. Does this preclude the relatively inexperienced diver from attaining Instructor status early on? Perhaps, perhaps not. It truly depends on the individual & what other qualities they bring to the table. By comparison, they will be more of a "learn as you go" type of diving Instructor; however, with proper attitude, assistance & a willingness to learn from others ( specifically: veteran divers of any stripe) they can be very effective. It is those inexperienced divers who adopt a "know-it-all attitude" upon receiving their Instructors ticket that can be problematic, & to a lesser degree, so can the experienced diver who suddenly feels they now know all there is to know.

In a perfect world, Instructor candidates would have a minimum of 100 logged dives in a variety of diving conditions. Additionally, they would have participated in at least 20 novice diver courses as an Assistant Instructor, contributing in all aspects of the process. These prerequisites would weed out the curious & challenge those with a serious desire to Instruct. The net result would be fewer, but far better Instructors.

In your dreams!

Regards,
D.S.D.

What would you rather have as an instructor-

Someone that got certified 15 years ago and did 4 dives a year, or- someone that started two years ago, got hooked, stayed in the buisness. one year as a tank filler that dives as much as he can, than another year as a DM , than became an instructor. totaling over 1000 dives in the process?

The question asked is tough, but time is NOT the only way to measure experience, it's just one, and IMHO a lousy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom