Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to see a dead horse explode!

Would you like to see a dead whale explode?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a retired member of the United States military and coming from a long line of men who served our country, I am very put off by the new advertisement "Invade Cozumel" where scrolling pictures of former campaigns are shown. When the United States was called upon to secure the freedom of the people in the countries you claim we invaded, they made sacrifices that should not be made light of. I find the comment that our brave men and women "invaded" these counties to be highly insulting.

Please modify or cancel this grossly insensitive add.

Couv

Why does something need to be modified or cancelled because it offends you?

This is still going on, inconceiveable!!!!

Why does something need to be modified or cancelled because it offends you?

Didn't he say "please"? Doesn't that imply a request? (vs. the "needs to be" kind of demand that some folks use)

Others earlier have correctly observed that with the freedom of expression that is cherished, even offensive expressions should not be prohibited.

However, Pete, like many others who advertise, is savvy enough to know that offending potential customers is not a wise move. Thus, when it was brought to his attention, he quickly changed the ad.

This OVER-SENSITIVE BS is one of the main things wrong with America today. You can directly link the majority of our issues and controveries to someone "being offended". Horse-Hockey.

By the way, Scuba-Video, you very much CAN choose to be offended OR NOT by a word or words because they are just that: WORDS. A collection of sounds that YOU associate with personal interpretation and feeling!!!

However, Pete, like many others who advertise, is savvy enough to know that offending potential customers is not a wise move. Thus, when it was brought to his attention, he quickly changed the ad.

Actually there is a great deal to be gained with controversial ads.

Such as this

The irony is that you don't appear to be aware of exactly how accurately you're demonstrating my point. As I said earlier ... welcome to the land of the terminally offended.

Invading means putting one country's soldiers on another country's soil. It says nothing about why that occurred.

If you'd like to have a discussion about why the USA invaded all those countries, I'd be happy to ... but let's please move it to The Pub ... where such discussions belong.

I still can't understand why you guys are getting so whiny over Pete's advertisement about something that's intended to be FUN ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

First off, I never said I was offended by the ad the OP is discussing.

Second when you post a definition you should post a link to prove you did not just make it up!

You will notice that in each of these definitions it does discuss
NWGratefulDiver:
why that occurred

Merriam-Webster:

1: an act of invading; especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder
2: the incoming or spread of something usually hurtful

Princeton WordNet:

Noun

* S: (n) invasion (the act of invading; the act of an army that invades for conquest or plunder)
* S: (n) invasion, encroachment, intrusion (any entry into an area not previously occupied) "an invasion of tourists"; "an invasion of locusts"
* S: (n) invasion ((pathology) the spread of pathogenic microorganisms or malignant cells to new sites in the body) "the tumor's invasion of surrounding structures"

Wikipedia:

An invasion is a military offensive consisting of all, or large parts of the armed forces of one geopolitical entity aggressively entering territory controlled by another such entity, generally with the objective of either conquering, liberating or re-establishing control or authority over a territory, forcing the partition of a country, altering the established government or gaining concessions from said government, or a combination thereof. An invasion can be the cause of a war, be a part of a larger strategy to end a war, or it can constitute an entire war in itself. Due to the large scale of the operations associated with invasions, they are usually strategic in planning and execution.

The term invasion usually denotes a strategic endeavor of substantial magnitude; because the goals of an invasion are usually large-scale and long-term, a sizeable force is needed to hold territory, and protect the interests of the invading entity. Smaller-scale, tactical cross-border actions, such as skirmishes, sorties, raids, infiltrations or guerrilla warfare, are not generally considered invasions. A military endeavor to take back territory that is tenuously held by an initial invader during the course of war is instead generally called a counter-offensive.

I don't need to take this discussion anywhere else, it's over. The countries and dates you supplied are without foundation as is your definition of invasion. I have shown you the actual definition from three popular sources all of which are verifiable with links I provided.

In your list of "invasions" you stated "Iran 1987" - please back that up with some facts, including links.

Here are some facts: Wikipedia The Iran-Iraq war was waged from September 1980 to August 1988. So how did the US invade Iran in 1987?

On Apr 24, 1980 did enter Iran for Operation Eagle Claw which was initated to rescue the hostages held by Iran. (Timelines.com)

That was not an invasion, it was a rescue attempt. Eight US AF Pararescue died in that operation, some of whom I knew.

Anyone offended by the ad needs to get a box of Kleenex, have a good cry and shut the hell up.

There are bigger things to worry about in the world today.

This OVER-SENSITIVE BS is one of the main things wrong with America today. You can directly link the majority of our issues and controveries to someone "being offended". Horse-Hockey.

By the way, Scuba-Video, you very much CAN choose to be offended OR NOT by a word or words because they are just that: WORDS. A collection of sounds that YOU associate with personal interpretation and feeling!!!

So if someone uses the "N" word to an African-American, it is only the African-American's problem? Yes he could just ignore those words, but the one making the speech was trying to offend - whether or not the person allowed himself to be offended or not. You are not excused from good manners or civility just because someone should not let themselves be offended by speech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom