Insurance Question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My DAN insurance just re- upped, it was $105 for the year for the membership & the Preferred level (top level) coverage. I keep forgetting to drop DAN, as I am also covered by Dive Assure. It ran about $300 for 2yrs but that also included some travel insurance I put on it.

What about just buying trip insurance through the travel agency. They cover medical expenses, and we called the underwriting insurance company, and they said they cover Dive accidents as medically related while there. Why not just buy the trip insurance?

What about just buying trip insurance through the travel agency. They cover medical expenses, and we called the underwriting insurance company, and they said they cover Dive accidents as medically related while there. Why not just buy the trip insurance?

I do my travel through my LDS. They do not offer travel insurance. If you want it you must buy it separately. It runs about the same as adding it to my medical policy I also get the medical diving insurance because 90% of my diving is not vacation or trip diving. Because I am an instructor (during the warmer months) I teach quite a bit at the local quarry & also do some R & R diving there for myself. Of the 500 dives I have to date, 300- 350 are dives at the local quarries. I want coverage for any accidents that may occur there.

There are some non-diving insurance companies that also cover diving related incidents. However, the ones I've seen don't cover as thoroughly as DAN. For instance, they may cover disability, accidents and death related to SCUBA accidents, but will not cover lost equipment, hyperbaric treatment and so on.

I've been with DAN for quite a while, and would definitely recommend them. They do not offer you the option of paying for more than one year at a time, but they do have auto-renew, as others have stated. I know of Dive Assure, but haven't checked them out.

One word of caution: check how your current accident, health or life insurance company feels about SCUBA diving. I've experienced insurance companies that will not cover a diver, not even for non-diving related incidents. Basically, they're happy to take your money, but should you ever need to have your insurance paid out, they may cite the fact that you're a diver, making you non-eligible for coverage and refuse to pay up.

Be careful with added insurance from sources, like Orbitz, as they hide the exclusions from you the best they can... one of the major exclusions is they make the emergency medical insurance SECONDARY ONLY.

So if you have primary coverage with a deductible they won't pay out and you'll waste your money. Make certain the insurance is PRIMARY insurance, because eventually you'll have to prove you have no other insurance by notarized documentation.

Avoid Access America... their online feedback is not good for a reason.

I have the DAN insurance (the top level policy -"Preferred"?), I have used it, and would not dive without. Be aware that it is also secondary insurance-it "kicks in" after your regular insurance is done.

That said, when I had my "little DCI adventure", it paid for $2700 worth of expenses-including, so I have been told, expenses that almost no 'regular" health insurance would cover. I have heard from other divers that, if you have no other health insurance, the DAN policy can be a primary for covered accidents.

Again, I would not dive without it, or the equivalent.

The best thing about DAN is that they also do research that provides divers with information that helps us stay safe. Not sure if the others with insurance do the same thing.

An important issue when deciding between the two top players in the dive accident insurance game, (DAN Insurance : Dive Accident, Trip, Dive Equipment, Camera, Group Term Life) and (DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance | DiveAssure Programs), is that DAN plans are secondary policies, while DiveAssure programs are primary policies. This fact is not inconsequential.

See the following for a discussion of primary v secondary--> Primary vs. Secondary Health Insurance - Insurance - Families.com

If you have a secondary dive accident policy, it obviously means extra paperwork and time until all covered benefits are realized. It can even result in protracted tiffing between insurance carriers.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom