Insuring your camera gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phantom Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've just spent a rather substantial amount of money to get set up for photography, I'm interested in what you experienced members do regarding insurance coverage on the equipment. (I suppose that I should review my USAA homeowner's policy to see what that may or may not cover.)

Also, what is your opinion about diving insurance? I haven't gotten into that subject yet, but Gilligan has some DAN information on his website (along with lots of beautiful photos).

Thanks, Joe

Be careful with that homeowners coverage. If read reports that just the inquiry has caused cancellations or increases.

I've been using D.E.P.P. for the last 7-8 years. I've had several claims for lost, broken and flooded items and have always been very satisfied with the service and coverage.

I highly recommend both. DAN for diver insurance and DEPP for your gear and photo gear. I renew both annually and will continue to do so as long as I dive and take UW photos.:)

Im debating the insurance thing.. I have the Oly 4000/ 010; nothing else. If I go with DEPP, and I get a flood: It will cost me 250$ deductible + anual rate + shipping charges + taxes + duty at the canadian border for a 500$ housing + camera. Furthermore, if my housing is shot, for some reason, how will they find a pt 010 (unless it's gray market)? I guess I'm not sure if I should be extra carefull and take my chances, or go with the insurance (I only dive about 6 months out of the year; so I guess that kinda reduces my chances of getting a flood)....opinions?

Thanks

divemed06 once bubbled...
Im debating the insurance thing.. I have the Oly 4000/ 010; nothing else. If I go with DEPP, and I get a flood: It will cost me 250$ deductible + anual rate + shipping charges + taxes + duty at the canadian border for a 500$ housing + camera. Furthermore, if my housing is shot, for some reason, how will they find a pt 010 (unless it's gray market)? I guess I'm not sure if I should be extra carefull and take my chances, or go with the insurance (I only dive about 6 months out of the year; so I guess that kinda reduces my chances of getting a flood)....opinions?

Thanks

I think you're getting your policies mixed up. DEPP charges $25 plus 10% of the repair or replacement per claim or at least they always have in the past.

DEPP requires at least 2 major pieces of dive gear, reg/gauges, BC, computer, etc. I wouldn't worry about the PT-10 being grey market, if it is. But if all you want to insure is the 4000/PT10, you might be better of snagging an extra PT-10 while they can still be found and taking your chances on the 4000. The other isureance options charge more than DEPP for deductables, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom