Integrated vs. Non-Integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boosted

Registered
Reaction score
I am torn between integrated vs. Non-integrated dive computers.
I am still a beginner diver slowly compiling my dive arsenal.
I have all the basics, but recently poised myself to start getting one of the "bigger" items, e.g. reg, bc, computer.
Before I could really make a decision on which to get, my girlfriend, knowing that I am enamored with watches in general, surprised me with a Suunto Stinger(what a gal!!). It is beautiful and I love it, but I couldn't help but wonder...for the same price I could have gotten an air integrated like the Oceanic wireless. With the stinger, I have a great computer that fits on my wrist and looks coos as s@#%, but it doesn't monitor my air/breathing consumption so I still have to get a SPG. Some say it is better not to have all of your reliance on a computer, i.e. your life is in the hands of your battery, therefore, an analog SPG + non-integrated dive computer is the way to go. the other school says integrated is much more accurate in regards to data feedback.
Don't know what to do. I would hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but when I get my regulator, I will have to spend some more $ on an SPG or another dive computer which seems redundant.
advice from the pros? Thanks in advance

Personally I think air integration is a waste of money. you can get a basic SPG threw LP for about $50. Take the money that you saved and take a nitrox course. They will teach you how to calculate your air consumption then you dont need the air integration. Hoseless is worse because its always beeping because it lost the signal. If you want to get close to marine wildlife it will scare them out of range. Be happy with the gift and be glad you have someone who cares enough to get one for you.

Air integrated computers are great for writing air consumption in your logbook. :D

But seriously, besides this the only other major advantage is that it calculates the remaining air time based on your current rate of breathing. This is somewhat useful, but not something that you really need your computer to tell you.

I do use a Vytec, which is a hoseless computer from Suunto.
The main reason I got it was because I wanted to get rid of my console and put everything on my wrists, which I personally find to be more convenient. The only way to do this with a pressure gauge was to get a hoseless air integrated computer. BTW, I still have a pressure gauge on an unobtrusive short hose clipped away on my BCD, as a backup.

My advice would be to get a pressure gauge and use it with your Stinger. (I'd like one too, if I were diving warm water!) I think you'll like it just fine.

I would get a pressure gauge, and a depth gauge if the stinger is your main computer.

I agree with double125's, what an awsome gift!

Since you're a beginner, I would advise you stick to the basics and learn about your gas consumption like most of us did: looking at our gage and using your very own body integrated computer :)

Your goal should be to be able to anticipate what your gage will read before looking at it (give or take 100 psi).

Back
Top Bottom