Integrated weights w/ back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problems with wings and intergrated weights. Of course the Zeagle weight system, sits well back behind the hips so is in a neutral position does not push you forward or backwards. I found I had trouble with the ProPro Knight Hawk the few times I wore one as well, as the weights sit further forward in front of the hips pulling you forward when horizontal on the surface.

An option may be to look at trim or rear weight pouches to mount on your tank or the back of your BCD, as an example.
BC Accessories— Weights and Weight Systems Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

Regards
Chris
Thanks for your feedback. I also suspect that the position on the Knight Hawk weights are too far forward. I am fine with amount of weight I am carrying. The problem is distribution. I might have to go back to a weight belt, reluctantly. I've seen three divers loose their belts this year, compared to one lost weight pocket.

Thanks for your feedback. I also suspect that the position on the Knight Hawk weights are too far forward. I am fine with amount of weight I am carrying. The problem is distribution. I might have to go back to a weight belt, reluctantly. I've seen three divers loose their belts this year, compared to one lost weight pocket.

I think you will find the URL below extremely helpful. I had the same problem when I owned a ScubaPro KnightHawk BC.

The Tank Buoyancy Compensator solved the problem.

Dive Innovations

This sounds interesting would like to try one sometime.

You could start another thread--but--what you need to do is go to a BP/wing.

The OP is using a back inflate but those are compromise designs between a jacket and a BP/wing. Unfortunately in the metamorphisis they lose their balance. They don't have the plate to add rear weight, most of the weight pockets are in the front and most of those back inflates are to baggy--taco effect--which allows the partially inflated back inflate to lever you forward and face down. A weight belt may help but again, you will not like this, your solution is a real BP/wing and a weight belt.

If your using a fully integrated weight system and have to doff your rig how are you going to stay down and work with the problem with all your weight on the rig and none on you?
N
Fully integrated weights are not a problem if you are negatively buoyant. It isn't an issue. But I see your point, well taken.

For what its worth, the first dive out with my first ever back inflate, integrated weight BC (Triple-L Orion) I found it tended to shove my face in the water, but not so much anymore because I realized I had way more air in there than necessary. I lessened that, and no more problem. Not saying that's your issue...

jds

Sure that's an obvious problem and solution. As I originally stated I have surface buoyancy from the chin up. If I try to lift higher I have to continually fin to avoid a face plant. For instance mouth to mouth resuscitation with a floating diver during a Rescue class was very difficult, due to the lack of true vertical lift with the jacket. Though I have yet to experience very rough seas wearing this jacket, I don't look forward to a long surface float in anything less than ideal weather. I really think I will be going back to a weight belt and using the integrated pockets for equipment storage. I am not opposed to a BP/W set up but it didn't seem to offer me what I wanted personally. I am not a tech diver, will not be diving doubles. The BP/W just seemed like an "al a carte" set up because of the add ons. For me at the time the back inflate bcd seemed simpler.

I also have the Triple L Orion. My medium didn't come with trim pockets, so I threaded a 2 lb wt on each side behind the integrated pocket on the strap that holds the BC together. I also bought two XS scuba accessory weight pockets that I thread on to the bottom tank band- they work great, and I only use them with my thicker (7mm) wetsuit. A piece of thin bungee tied to the back D-ring, with a small carabiner on the end, to clip to one of the front side d-rings, works great as a crotch strap- I don't even notice it. I learned to barely inflate the BC at the surface, and swim on my back. This setup has almost 150 dives on it now, and I am quite pleased.... oh, I also keep the tank high on my back and flip the regulator 1st stage over, but I don't know if that effects the trim or not.

Have the Knighthawk for a year now. Initially had the same problem. My solution may sound stupid but - worth a try... when on the surface float on your back, lifting your feet up. I found it very comfortable and effortless. I do mostly boat dives so not sure if its too comfy to swim with, but it works well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom