Intense week and ? skin bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent quite a while looking and I haven't found exact source info for the school texts that I have. So at this point I will just have to concede skin type bends as ONE of the more common types :D

I personally have joint pain fairly often, but I have since before diving. this comes from sports injuries and other sorts of abuses to my body as a youngster :wink:

As I often say, I'm no expert... but I've had the priveledge of learning from some of the best:wink:

I'm glad to see that people on here can respond in polite and thoughtful conversation...as opposed to the jr high mentality that I have encountered in other forums...

Thanks folks!

Hi bob titten:

The problem you are thinking of when associated with diving is skin "bends." This usually appears around the belly and less commonly on the arms and legs. I would guess that your problem is not decompression related but rather from something on the suit or tank straps that is causing the rash.

The fact that it responded to some degree to antihistamines would argue for an allergic reaction.

Dr Deco

hi thanks for all the replies.

Sorry I have been away.

the rash started after the first dive where I had the uncontrolled ascent from 10 metres.

The day when I did the 2 deep dives there was 3 hours between the dives.

Two things I wanted to ask.

1) How long does a skin bend rash last?

This rash lasted for several days and looked like an allergic urticaria.
The other main culprit (although there are several possibilities) and may have been caused by a mosquito repellent in our bedroom.

2) If I assume this was skin bends what ( if anything do I need to do). BTW I have been fine since although I was tired for several days after returnong from the trip.

best

bob t.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 154
Hi Bob,

The photos attached, despite showing a maculopapular-like rash, are not especially typical of cutaneous DCS ("skin bends") as cutis marmorata/skin marbling and edema appear not to be present. And, as Dr Deco has said the location is not typical of this form of DCS. The torso (especially the stomach area) and shoulders are by far the most commonly affected areas.

Mild cutaneous DCS usually passes rather quickly, as in several hours after the dive, and duration beyond 24 hours is essentially unheard of. Allergic rashes, OTOH, can and often do persist for several days or longer.

That the "rash settled down over the past few days using anti histamines and a wee bit of steroids on the shins where the bites were bad" is good, but not diagnostic as the improvement may or may not have been related to such treatment. In any event, oral antihistamines and topical steroids generally are not of much benefit in cutaneous DCS.

As regards, "If I assume this was skin bends what (if anything do I need to do) (sic)." At this stage of the process any of the possible immediate steps, e.g., breathing 100% 02, undergoing evaluation at a hyperbaric facility, would be of no use. Should the condition not promptly further resolve, assessment by a dermatologist would be prudent.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom