Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It always amazes me what people will allow themselves to be subject to by another person.

I mean, I get it. He was in a position of authority and you were trusting him with your life.. but to go back again... and again?

I'm a dude but I'm thinking if I was put in that position it would be one and done. And back on the surface I'd be like "WTF dude you'll be hearing from me about this and it's not going to be good".

Is this person an actual instructor even? Do you have the member number?

This is utterly disgusting. Yes report to the agency, but also the police. This behaviour is unacceptable in diving, or any other sport. Does the country in question, you said you travelled, have sexual harassment laws.

Edit: Please report to prevent someone else being subjected to this monster.

Thank you for your comment, it helps me to recognize it was not legit. I will try to report it to PADI. I was not sure at the beginning if it was a commun practice for new divers.
Have you even verified that this creap is an actual dive instructor and that he has current active instructor status with PADI? The PADI website has a page where you can verify his instructor status and file a complaint.

You mean you didn't grab his slug and rip it towards his feet, really fast

Do a school of life course to recognise and deal with deviate behaviour

I’m being sexually harassed — what can I do?​

You need to know your rights and options for action if you’re experiencing sexual harassment.

If you’re experiencing sexual harassment, here are some things you can do:

1. Get informed

At school:
your school may have a sexual harassment or bullying prevention policy, so consider asking someone in the main office about this.

At work: check your workplace policies and procedures manual. It could tell you your options under labour laws and should include who to contact.

2. Keep a record

Write a detailed description of the incident(s) including what happened, where it occurred, when it took place and if there were any witnesses. If you have any text messages or screenshots of the incident(s), keep them saved.

3. Ask them to stop

This can be scary, but confronting people — even adults in positions of authority — can work. If you feel it’s safe to do so, consider telling the person to stop in a calm but firm manner. Here are some ways you can say stop:

• “When you look at me like that, I feel really uncomfortable. I’m asking you to stop it.”
  • “I’ve said ‘no’ before when you’ve asked me out, and I’m not going to change my mind. If you don’t stop, I’m going to have to tell the principal (or boss, teacher, etc.) about it.”
  • “I’m going to file a report if you touch me (talk to me, say that, etc.) again.”
  • “Yes, I do have a sense of humour. But what you’re saying isn’t a joke — it’s sexual harassment. If you don’t stop, I’ll need to speak to our boss (teacher, principal, etc.).”

This is highly unusual behaviour and certainly has no place in the diving community. Please report this to the relevant certifing agency and the police. Don't give up on diving as it truly is a great sport, but perhaps find a female instructor or a class with more than one student.

What an awful introduction to scuba diving. I'm so sorry you experienced this. Absolutely report this to PADI and the local enforcement. Id highly recommend you to take further training with a different dive school. It might make you feel more comfortable to request to be part of a group when diving and avoid the 1-1 scenario if it helps.

Edited after discussion, to note that OP is PADI certified and did online class and skills as well as experience this out-of-bounds behavior.
Girl, you are NOT PADI certified.

You could not have done the necessary training with your instructor in this position behind you, as instructors always are in front of you facing you to watch you demonstrate skills.
But worse is your missing equipment because it sounds like you had no tank of your own and were sharing his dive tank and octopus, otherwise your own tank /BCD would have kept him back off you.
You don’t mention taking the class room portion of PADI certification, or the written test. You don’t mention going to a dive shop to try on, pick up and check out your own gear.
So I’m doubting if you have received a PADI certification at all. Have you a certification directly from PADI?
Even if this guy was a genuine instructor, not a total fraud, and sent in your paperwork, you have to start over with a legit PADI class (with a friend this time) to get correct training for scuba diving to be a safe diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom