Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said, this is not only inappropriate, it is sexual assault and battery. His actions were NOT okay.

For those questioning why OP didn’t stop him: I’m a professor of social psychology. OP’s response is entirely normal for folks experiencing sexual harassment. That (s)he went back repeatedly is not surprising. Sexual predators target potential victims who they are in a positiob to manipulate and abuse. They deliberately take advantage of the fact that potential victims 1) see them as an authority figure, 2) are novices who legitimately don’t yet know the norms for the field, and 3) have time and money invested in the certification that they don’t want to lose.

Harassment is often ambiguous at first (even to the victim). What instructor did would be an instant “nope” from me - because there’s no ambiguity, because I know the PADI standards and how an OW course is taught. That’s not obvious to a new student.
For instance, consider: a cave DPV class is going to involve a lot of touching. And that is okay! But how do we know that? Because we are familiar with what is and isn’t normal (and necessary) for teaching certain skills. A new diver isn’t going to know that.

Second, none of us WANTS to believe we are being abused. We have paid time and money, we trusted this person, and so the first, second, third ambiguous instances are often written off or “explained away,” despite growing discomfort. As I tell my students, cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

Third, research shows that when you ask people to imagine being sexually harassed, most of them report they would be angry and would leave/confront the harasser etc. However, in a (super unethical!!!) study where they brought women into a job interview and sexually harassed them, that’s not what happened. Instead of being angry, the women afterwards reported being afraid. Almost none even pushed back against the harasser, and not a single one left the interview early. When asked why, they said they were afraid and just wanted to appease him and get out safely.

We think we will be angry and confront sexual harassers, but the data suggest that most (not all, but most of us) are far more likely to freeze and go along, out of fear.

Predators like this instructor know this. It’s WHY abuse of power is such a big deal, because it takes all the above and makes it even harder for the victim to recognize and confront the abuse. The instructor has both perceived and real power over the student, especially underwater, and especially when the instructor has deliberately used their knowledge to manipulate the student into being extra vulnerable (relying on their octo, no exposure protection, etc).

OP, I am so sorry this happened to you. Please report this instructor to PADI, and I hope you will consider leaving a review and/or sharing the name and location. This guy is still out there, doing this to other women, and will continue to get away with it as long as he is protected by his status as an instructor.

No one will ever mistake me for a radical feminist, but it's a little sad to see some of the classic toxic responses to sexual assault on full display here.

Anyone blaming her for going back lacks a basic knowledge of the complexities of human psychology. Sorry, none of our brains are as cold and rational as we'd like. Specifically to the naming and shaming, there are lots of valid legal and personal reasons for the OP to be reluctant to splash this instructor's name on an open form where he will see it, especially if he lives in close proximity. In fact, if this is to become a legal issue, it's probably best to just stop discussing it openly right now, as anything she publicly posts can be used against her.

This exercice was lasting 20 minutes top every day but all the other hours were used for proper PADI training. But I will definitely redo another training. It will helps me to remove this unfortunate event.

I did the gear assembly, the e-leaning, the trick underwater with the mask cleaning, removal, swimming, underwater hand sign, give air to my "buddy", etc.

I have received the certification from PADI and have my card with the number.

But did you wear your own bcd and regulator and tank? It sounded like you did not have your own gear in the water from initial post.

Not only I can believe this story but also something similar happened in my country a long time ago (probably ~25 years): one of the more famous instructors was found guilty in several cases of assault/sexual harassment of students- some were teenagers or younger- during dives. I do not remember the details of how many cases he was convicted- I think five- and there were probably more who never complained :-(

The method was also similar: "extra practice for mask clearing" or some other BS excuse, the wetsuit (or lack of) and so on. This is unthinkable, not only the harassment but the danger he put them into.

For those who do not complain- although I can understand and sympathize with the reason not to: think about the next victims, because there will always be more if nobody puts a stop to it!

I am not here to name drop, I wanted to share my experience to understand if it was usual practice. I will do the follow up with PADI.
Years ago, i let my teenage daughter go on a dive with just a Carribean dive owner and instructor trusting that anyone that well known in the industry would not try to assault her UNDERWATER! Now I have ask her if anything happened to her. (edited to add that she said “No”, and was shocked but educated that this could happen on a dive experience)
So not naming a perpetrator, at least to PADI, is allowing them to continue their behavior to other girls, instead of stopping them. If he had done this to someone else, wouldn’t you want them to report him before you met him?
At least your reporting here has educated a few people of this awful possibility, so thank you for posting.

As others have said, this is not only inappropriate, it is sexual assault and battery. His actions were NOT okay.

For those questioning why OP didn’t stop him: I’m a professor of social psychology. OP’s response is entirely normal for folks experiencing sexual harassment. That (s)he went back repeatedly is not surprising. Sexual predators target potential victims who they are in a positiob to manipulate and abuse. They deliberately take advantage of the fact that potential victims 1) see them as an authority figure, 2) are novices who legitimately don’t yet know the norms for the field, and 3) have time and money invested in the certification that they don’t want to lose.

Harassment is often ambiguous at first (even to the victim). What instructor did would be an instant “nope” from me - because there’s no ambiguity, because I know the PADI standards and how an OW course is taught. That’s not obvious to a new student.
For instance, consider: a cave DPV class is going to involve a lot of touching. And that is okay! But how do we know that? Because we are familiar with what is and isn’t normal (and necessary) for teaching certain skills. A new diver isn’t going to know that.

Second, none of us WANTS to believe we are being abused. We have paid time and money, we trusted this person, and so the first, second, third ambiguous instances are often written off or “explained away,” despite growing discomfort. As I tell my students, cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

Third, research shows that when you ask people to imagine being sexually harassed, most of them report they would be angry and would leave/confront the harasser etc. However, in a (super unethical!!!) study where they brought women into a job interview and sexually harassed them, that’s not what happened. Instead of being angry, the women afterwards reported being afraid. Almost none even pushed back against the harasser, and not a single one left the interview early. When asked why, they said they were afraid and just wanted to appease him and get out safely.

We think we will be angry and confront sexual harassers, but the data suggest that most (not all, but most of us) are far more likely to freeze and go along, out of fear.

Predators like this instructor know this. It’s WHY abuse of power is such a big deal, because it takes all the above and makes it even harder for the victim to recognize and confront the abuse. The instructor has both perceived and real power over the student, especially underwater, and especially when the instructor has deliberately used their knowledge to manipulate the student into being extra vulnerable (relying on their octo, no exposure protection, etc).

OP, I am so sorry this happened to you. Please report this instructor to PADI, and I hope you will consider leaving a review and/or sharing the name and location. This guy is still out there, doing this to other women, and will continue to get away with it as long as he is protected by his status as an instructor.
Thank you for your comment. Yes exactly I was not sure if it was a normal procedure since he repeatedly said it was to control the buoyancy. I knew nothing about diving & it was not obvious. I have received an e-mail from PADI to review the class, is it there were I report it ?

Years ago, i let my teenage daughter go on a dive with just a Carribean dive owner and instructor trusting that anyone that well known in the industry would not try to assault her UNDERWATER! Now I have ask her if anything happened to her. (edited to add that she said “No”, and was shocked but educated that this could happen on a dive experience)
So not naming a perpetrator, at least to PADI, is allowing them to continue their behavior to other girls, instead of stopping them. If he had done this to someone else, wouldn’t you want them to report him before you met him?
At least your reporting here has educated a few people of this awful possibility, so thank you for posting.
Thanks for sharing, yes I will report it to PADI. Definitely don't want it to happen to someone else.

Hi everyone, I recently completed my PADI Open Water course and I'd like to share my experience with you. I believe my instructor's behavior was inappropriate, but as a newcomer to scuba diving, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Before the course:
I found a Dive Shop on Tripadvisor with over 200 5-star reviews, which seemed perfect for the Open Water Course. However, the website link wasn't functional, so I reached out to the company on Instagram. They requested to follow me, which I found a bit strange, but I went along with it. The owner (only instructor) and I communicated via WhatsApp to plan the days since I was traveling for the course. He messaged me frequently, which was a bit overwhelming, but I assumed it was to keep in touch since I hadn't made a deposit. He even started liking my Instagram Stories.

I confirmed with him twice that he would provide all the necessary equipment, including a wetsuit. The night before the course, he asked me out for a drink, which I politely declined. Despite feeling uncomfortable, I decided to proceed with the course, considering diving as a community activity.
Nothing about this situation as described sounds right.

You mention PADI but go on to say he signed you off as "a level 2 diver". There is not a PADI "Level 2 Diver" certification. Did you get a certification card from a recognized agency? (Pervy Association of Diving Instructors is NOT PADI)

Call PADI immediately and ask about his standing as an instructor. Or whatever agency he said he represented. [OP said actually got the PADI OW cert]

There are a couple of legal avenues to explore (not an attorney and not a law enforcement officer in Canada (or wherever the training took place) so not offered as legal advice, just discussion... )

In some locations, if there is unwanted touching, that can be assault. If there is unwanted touching of certain body parts with the intent toward sexual gratification of any person, that may be sexual assault. An inquiry of local law enforcement may be in order.

If the person was offering services as an instructor certified through a reputable agency (PADI, SSI, NAUI, RAID, IANTD, CMAS, etc...) and they were not, that is likely fraud. That carries both civil and criminal avenues for resolution. An inquiry of local law enforcement may be in order. [OP said actually got the PADI OW cert]

In any case, as others have said it doesn't sound like you got legit training based on your description of the course. Before you actually go and do any diving, I'd meet with a reputable instructor, validate their credentials with the agency they reference (PADI has an online tool -link immediately below), and get complete training, even if it is a repeat.

> > > >
P.S. I am prompted that PADI may not provide "plastic" cert cards any more as opposed to e-cards?

P.P.S. - edited after reading subsequent replies by OP.

<snip> (because I'm addressing only this):

P.S. I am prompted that PADI may not provide "plastic" cert cards any more as opposed to e-cards?

Either / both are available from PADI.COM

I have both plastic and E-Card for Enriched and AOW, because I'm a "one is none and two is one" kinda guy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom