Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing about this situation as described sounds right.

You mention PADI but go on to say he signed you off as "a level 2 diver". There is not a PADI "Level 2 Diver" certification. I am wondering if he was even an instructor. I don't know about all the other certification agencies, but are you sure he was representing himself as PADI instructor? What about the classroom portion of the training? The online e-learning portion? Did you get a certification card from a recognized agency? (Pervy Association of Diving Instructors is NOT PADI)

Call PADI immediately and ask about his standing as an instructor. Or whatever agency he said he represented.

There are a couple of legal avenues to explore (not an attorney and not a law enforcement officer in Canada so not offered as legal advice, just discussion... )

In some locations, if there is unwanted touching, that can be assault. If there is unwanted touching of certain body parts with the intent toward sexual gratification of any person, that may be sexual assault. An inquiry of local law enforcement may be in order.

If the person was offering services as an instructor certified through a reputable agency (PADI, SSI, NAUI, RAID, IANTD, CMAS, etc...) and they were not, that is likely fraud. That carries both civil and criminal avenues for resolution. An inquiry of local law enforcement may be in order.

In any case, as others have said it doesn't sound like you got legit training based on your description of the course. Before you actually go and do any diving, I'd meet with a reputable instructor, validate their credentials with the agency they reference (PADI has an online tool -link immediately below), and get complete training, even if it is a repeat.

P.S. I am prompted that PADI may not provide "plastic" cert cards any more as opposed to e-cards?
I have my e-card, on the card it says : Open Water "This qualification meets iso 24801-2 diver level 2 -- Autonomous Diver Standard This diver has satisfactory met the standard for this certification lever as set froth by PADI www.padi.com"

Thank you for your insight I will take a look at everything.

Thank you for your comment. Yes exactly I was not sure if it was a normal procedure since he repeatedly said it was to control the buoyancy. I knew nothing about diving & it was not obvious. I have received an e-mail from PADI to review the class, is it there were I report it ?
You can report the incident to PADI at QM@padi.com.

I have my e-card, on the card it says : Open Water "This qualification meets iso 24801-2 diver level 2 -- Autonomous Diver Standard This diver has satisfactory met the standard for this certification lever as set froth by PADI www.padi.com"

Yeah. That IS a PADI open water diver card.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you!
You're welcome.

Please report back and let us know how the process goes for you. It's important to not only call out bad, inappropriate, and dangerous instructors and shops, but to make sure that training agencies are held accountable as well for how they follow up.

I for the life of me cant figure out how you got your OW cert. When I did my 4 dives for NAUI there was non of this “sorry no BCD today nonsense”. We practiced all our closed water skills in OW in full dive gear. And we also straight up dove in OW in full gear. I couldn’t imagine getting an OW cert with the lack of training you got. Maybe I missed some pertinent sections where you did train but it sounds like you barely did anything.

Edit: and hopefully you can get a refund. It sounds like you need(at a barebones minimum) a PADI comprehensive refresher. They run like $250 in my AO. It has a full online study section and about 3 hours at the pool(not all underwater).

P.S. I am prompted that PADI may not provide "plastic" cert cards any more as opposed to e-cards?

They offer both, and charge an obscene amount of money for it. I tried to get an e-card for a course I had already completed, paid and had the physical card for and they wanted to charge me an extra £45. £55 if you want one with ‘special artwork’ on your digital image.

I for the life of me cant figure out how you got your OW cert. When I did my 4 dives for NAUI there was non of this “sorry no BCD today nonsense”. We practiced all our closed water skills in OW in full dive gear. And we also straight up dove in OW in full gear. I couldn’t imagine getting an OW cert with the lack of training you got. Maybe I missed some pertinent sections where you did train but it sounds like you barely did anything.

Edit: and hopefully you can get a refund. It sounds like you need(at a barebones minimum) a PADI comprehensive refresher. They run like $250 in my AO. It has a full online study section and about 3 hours at the pool(not all underwater).
Hi I added more precision about what trick we did each day other than the "assault exercice" Let me know what you think. This is why I was not sure at the beginning if it was legit or not.

@Pearl0123, I think "trick" would be "skill" in English. You're French Canadian, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom